• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oysters in December?

RandyB

I`ll be back in Paris for the first two weeks of December. In mid-Sept I had some great oysters at la Mascotte in Montmartre. It was a first time for ma copine and she loved them.

I know some of you are oyster fans. Do you have some suggestions where we don`t have to pay 3-star prices for the rest of the meal?

I should note that my apartment is a short walk from the Bastille. I`ve walked by the seafood at Bofinger many times, but have never tried it there. My usual Bofinger meal in winter is choucroute from their take-out, an incredible bargain.

Edited by RandyB (log)

l'Uitr, place Falguière. Bollinger is nice, as are most good brasseries. Garnier for instance.

You said you were going to The States soon. Don't forget the bay scallops from Nantucket. They have been out for two weeks now, even sweeter than last year for some reason. Wherever you go to get them, tell the resturant that you want them just lightly sauteed(just until cooked through) in a little butter. Much better than roasted and most American chefs can handle a simple saute'. :rolleyes:

I was in Paris in Sept/Oct and had some absolutely beautiful oysters at Fables de la Fontaine.

I am on my way to Paris on Dec. 3rd for a couple weeks. I do have dining reservations at Fables.

Send them an e-mail and ask..

Have a good trip..might see you at Fables!!

Enjoy...

Joan

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been to Paris twice, but I must say I found the oysters in random brasseries to be far better than the oysters I've had anywhere else.

I'm interested to try some of the recommendations in this thread when I'm back in Paris in January.

Well, I looked at the possible restaurants. Then I happened to be in the covered market at the Marché d'Aligre and there they were: Gillardeau No. 2 oysters at 20€ for a huitrier`s dozen (i.e., 13). For another 1,50€ I bought a little hand protector, and borrowed an oyster knife from a neighbor.

These guys were SWEET and meaty. Seemed like twice as much meat as a No. 2 fine de claire. Which is good, since the fines de claires cost half as much.

Incidentally, the oysters keep well in the fridge for several days if you keep them flat and covered with a damp dish towel. I didn`t miss the vinaigrette that most restaurants provide, since I think those oysters should be eaten naked (pun intended), or with no more than a couple of drops of fresh lemon juice.

• 4 weeks later...

Jean-Claude Ribault in this Wednesday-Thursday’s Le Monde had an ominous article about the oyster virus disaster that has and will reduce the French crop to 20% of its output in 2009 and 2010 (since they take three years to grow). For the last year to have them for New Year’s he suggested:

L'Ecailler du Bistrot

La Cagouille

Uitr

Dessirier

Poissonnerie du Bac

Daguerre Marée +

Chez Léon in Lyon.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Well, then, I guess for 2009-10 I'll have to invite you oysters lovers to visit Seattle. We have some really wonderful oysters grown on the Washington State coast. Same is true for British Columbia.

Randy

(in north central Washington right now, where it was -24°C during the night)

Well, then, I guess for 2009-10 I'll have to invite you oysters lovers to visit Seattle. We have some really wonderful oysters grown on the Washington State coast. Same is true for British Columbia.

Randy

(in north central Washington right now, where it was -24°C during the night)

Yes I hate to say it but the US may become a source the next two years.

John Talbott

Well, I looked at the possible restaurants. Then I happened to be in the covered market at the Marché d'Aligre and there they were: Gillardeau No. 2 oysters at 20€ for a huitrier`s dozen (i.e., 13).

Randy, When In Paris in Dec. at l'Obelisque I had some Gillardeau oysters. They were the fattest most wonderful oysters I had ever eaten. A few nights previous to this I had oysters at Fables des la Fontaine. I thought they were great..but not like the Gillardeau's.

I did some searching and this is what I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillardeau_oysters

Enjoy...

Joan

Gillardeau No. 2 oysters at 20€ for a huitrier`s dozen (i.e., 13).

Well, you guys, plus the threat of no more French oysters for two years (what are Norwegian ones like I thought? I know the Irish ones) got my juices up and from my wonderful Magrebian oysterman in my grubby local brasserie, I got some Gillardeau No. 2's (15.50 €) and Speciales de Bretagne No. 2 (15.00 €) for a taste test and wouldnyaknow I couldn't see an edge.

John Talbott

I thought the oysters at Fables were the best I had ever eaten til the ones at l'Obelisque...I don't know what # they were, but have never seen such huges, fat things!! Maybe they were exceptional ones on that particular day!

Interesting re your comparison..glad there was not a big difference in the cost or you would have been disappointed!

I am in the midst of working on a month of dining mid April - mid May. I try combining it with areas that I want to be in along with must do restaurants and the great many others that I think I might like to try. Then there are the ones that you always repeat. I'm starting with some 85 wihout my regulars! I cannot eat two large meals a day..so you see, I quickly run out of time!

I'm sure that some of my friends think I am nuts!