• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trying to find a cocktail name/recipe

RPMcMurphy

Went to PDT a few weeks ago, and did what I always do, leave it up to the bartender to mix me up something.

I know it was Rye and Campari, but don't know what else nor the name.

Was served on the rocks in an old-fashioned glass. I tried a boulevardier

1.5 rye

3/4 campari

3/4 italian vermouth

but It's not it. Any ideas?

Went to PDT a few weeks ago, and did what I always do, leave it up to the bartender to mix me up something.

I know it was Rye and Campari, but don't know what else nor the name.

Was served on the rocks in an old-fashioned glass. I tried a boulevardier

1.5 rye

3/4 campari

3/4 italian vermouth

but It's not it. Any ideas?

It's a 1794, created by Dominic Venegas a few years ago while he was at Range in San Francisco.

Avery Glasser

Bittermens, Inc. - Producers of Bittermens Bitters & Extracts

Bittermens Spirits, Inc. - Purveyors of Small Batch Bitter Liqueurs

Vendetta Spirits, LLC. - Nano-Importer of Hand-Produced Spirits

There's the Old Pal which has the dry vermouth...

1 bourbon or rye

.75 dry vermouth

.75 Campari

Edited by TVC (log)

"Wives and such are constantly filling up any refrigerator they have a

claim on, even its ice compartment, with irrelevant rubbish like

food."" - Kingsley Amis

This is too weird. I just made an Old Pal Saturday evening, but it was before this thread was ever posted. The Savoy (where I found it) calls for Bourbon, but it is also given as using Rye, such as here:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/beverages/old-pal.html

What I liked about it was the way the whiskey cut the intensity of the Campari. The Campari's flavor is certainly prominent, but its bitterness is mitigated by the whiskey, yet it is still a fairly dry drink. This is an excellent use for Campari that doesn't involve gin.

ETA: I see that some websites describe the Old Pal as Whiskey, Sweet Vermouth, and Grenadine. That seems rather pointless.

Correction: I said the Savoy calls for Bourbon, when it is in fact, Canadian Whisky.

Edited by brinza (log)

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

This is too weird.  I just made an Old Pal Saturday evening, but it was before this thread was ever posted.  The Savoy (where I found it) calls for Bourbon, but it is also given as using Rye, such as here:

[...]

Bourbon? Interesting. Which version of the Savoy Cocktail Book do you have, brinza? Both versions of the book I have (sadly) call for "Canadian Club" in the Old Pal.

In my experience, "Canadian Club" was likely a Prohibition/European substitution for unavailable American Whiskies like Rye or Bourbon.

That is to say, if you find the recipe in the book which Craddock was cribbing from, 9 times out of 10, the recipe calls for Rye Whiskey.

I do have the Old Pal noted as coming originally from one of Harry McElhone's books. I'll have to double check later today and see if McElhone calls for Canadian Whisky, Bourbon, or Rye.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

My go to drink was introduced to me as a "Left Hand"

2 oz. Rye / 3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth/ 3/4 oz. Campari - rock glass with one big rock only, lemon twist

However, there was some argument among the LA bartenders about nomenclature and the actual recipe - I know it's one of Sammie Ross's, but eventually someone confirmation, and the actual recipe was with bourbon, served up with a cherry. Personally the lemon twist is essential, and rye is more interesting.

I've made the drink with several ryes and even several bourbons, and its always a hit. I generally use Carpano Antica, but even with the ideosyncratic Vya, or simple M&R, the drink still works. It's a fantastic apperitif, especially for those who can't quite hang with campari and soda...yet.

Then Chris Ojeda, now at the Edison in LA, made me something he called a "new pal" - which was basically same recipe above (although he may have toyed with the proportions), but with 2 dashes of orange bitters, flamed orange twist, served up. This drink is also fantastic, though just slighly sweeter based on the orange addition, and perhaps that's merely based on my reaction to the orange essence, not any actual sweetness.

So, this all being said, I think there is just something really great about the combo of whiskey, sweet vermouth and campari.

Edited by campus five (log)

This is too weird.  I just made an Old Pal Saturday evening, but it was before this thread was ever posted.  The Savoy (where I found it) calls for Bourbon, but it is also given as using Rye, such as here:

[...]

Bourbon? Interesting. Which version of the Savoy Cocktail Book do you have, brinza? Both versions of the book I have (sadly) call for "Canadian Club" in the Old Pal.

Mea Culpa. Faulty memory (I only had one, Officer, I swear!) Of course, it is Canadian in the Savoy. My point actually was that even though the OP's mystery drink involved rye (real rye), it still might have been an Old Pal that he was served, and other sources seem to call for rye and bourbon as well for that same cocktail.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

Mea Culpa.  Faulty memory (I only had one, Officer, I swear!)  Of course, it is Canadian in the Savoy.  My point actually was that even though the OP's mystery drink involved rye (real rye), it still might have been an Old Pal that he was served, and other sources seem to call for rye and bourbon as well for that same cocktail.

Oh rats, I thought maybe there was some other interesting edition of the book out there.

I know mkayahara has a later "expanded and revised" edition, which I need to track down. Thought maybe yours might have been the same.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Do you know if it was a drink on the menu at one point or a classic? Do you remember if their was a garnish?

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Mea Culpa.  Faulty memory (I only had one, Officer, I swear!)  Of course, it is Canadian in the Savoy.  My point actually was that even though the OP's mystery drink involved rye (real rye), it still might have been an Old Pal that he was served, and other sources seem to call for rye and bourbon as well for that same cocktail.

Oh rats, I thought maybe there was some other interesting edition of the book out there.

I know mkayahara has a later "expanded and revised" edition, which I need to track down. Thought maybe yours might have been the same.

Sorry to disappoint. My edition is the same as yours, based on the photos you posted back in post #32 in the Stomp. I don't know why I was thinking it was bourbon. I made a Lawhill this weekend as well, but I didn't think I made two cocktails that called for Canadian Whisky. But the Lawhill I made was from Duffy, so maybe his is different and then I just mixed up the two. I'll have to check. Say, when you reach the Old Pal in the Stomp, you might want to experiment with, or invite discussion on, using different whiskies in that drink. It probably works well with many types.

Mike

Do you know if it was a drink on the menu at one point or a classic?  Do you remember if their was a garnish?

It was not on the menu when I was there, but could have been in the past. I just said I usually drink old-fashioneds and sazeracs and after a laugh, the bartender asked if I liked campari, then made sure again. haha.

The garnish I forget...oh man, I'm bad, I can't remember. It was in the drink...perhaps a cherry or flamed lemon/orange.

Fiance said bartender might have had an english accent? if that helps.....it was a saturday night. 6pm. on Nov 8th :raz:

Do you know if it was a drink on the menu at one point or a classic?   Do you remember if their was a garnish?

It was not on the menu when I was there, but could have been in the past. I just said I usually drink old-fashioneds and sazeracs and after a laugh, the bartender asked if I liked campari, then made sure again. haha.

The garnish I forget...oh man, I'm bad, I can't remember. It was in the drink...perhaps a cherry or flamed lemon/orange.

Fiance said bartender might have had an english accent? if that helps.....it was a saturday night. 6pm. on Nov 8th :raz:

Bartender was probably David. We had a drink on the menu called the Dewey D which was campari, rye, sw. vermouth and sherry, but it is served up with a twist. Do unless he changed it up to serve it on the rocks, it must be something else.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Do you know if it was a drink on the menu at one point or a classic?   Do you remember if their was a garnish?

Bartender was probably David. We had a drink on the menu called the Dewey D which was campari, rye, sw. vermouth and sherry, but it is served up with a twist. Do unless he changed it up to serve it on the rocks, it must be something else.

Hmm, definitely could have had sherry. my cocktail/spirits palate is novice at best, unfortunately. Been googling around for a few days now, and most the rye/campari drinks I see are up too. Perhaps since I said I like old-fashioneds and sazeracs he changed it up.

btw - OT but are you going to be instructing the astor center basics class on the 19th? If so.....perhaps you can teach me this one. :biggrin: Or, here's to hoping when I return, David will be behind the bar!

My go to drink was introduced to me as a "Left Hand"

2 oz. Rye / 3/4 oz Campari / 3/4 oz. Campari - rock glass with one big rock only, lemon twist

ummm? Vermouth?

Fixed - Sweet Vermouth

Holy cow is this drink good! I just got done making (and enjoying) one. It's definitely going on my top 10 list.

Mine looked like this:

Ingredients:

2 oz. Bernheim Wheat Whiskey*

¾ oz. Carpano Antica Vermouth

¾ oz. Campari

Method:

Stir the above ingredients with ice for at least one minute. Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice.

Garnish:

Lemon Twist (sprayed with its oils first)

* Bernheim (if you're not already aware) is a whiskey made with wheat instead of rye or corn. The alcohol content is low enough that I thought it might lend itself well to this drink, which is virtually all alcohol. Great combo.

Going to make another one right now...

"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her" - W.C. Fields

Thanks, The Hopry

http://thehopry.com/

I just found this on the bittermen's website:

Left Hand

Created by Sam Ross of Milk and Honey and Little Branch. It was one of the first cocktails to get into rotation that featured the Sweet Chocolate Bitters - and with good reason! It’s a perfect fall cocktail.

1 1/2 oz Bourbon (Elijah Craig)

3/4 oz Carpano Antica

3/4 oz Campari

2 dashes Sweet Chocolate Bitters

Stir and serve up in a cocktail glass with a brandied cherry.

I tried a recipe I found of the dewey D, and it was almost it....but the recipe I found did not have the sweet vermouth that johnder had listed. I'm thinking it had to have sweet vermouth, it was a very dark red/maroon drink.

Can't find the recipe that I found, but I believe it was on cocktailvirgin blog.

• 1 month later...
Was it this?

Dewey D

2 oz. Rye

3/4 oz. East India Sherry

1/2 oz. Aperol

2 dashes Angostura

stir, cook, strain, up, orange twist

Huh, now that I think about it, that is very similar to this cocktail I read about in in the Jan/Feb Imbibe Magazine:
Robin Wood

2 oz Monkey Shoulder Scotch

1/2 oz Madeira

1/2 oz Aperol

1 tsp Grand Marnier

3 drops Orange bitters

Stir with ice to chill, strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with an orange twist and raisins.

Created by Humberto Marques for Oloroso bar in Edinburgh.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA