• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ultimate Vacuum Sealer

Camano Chef

I have had several FoodSaver machines over the years,including the original Tilia machine.

All have worked as advertised, FOR A WHILE.

My last one died just as I was ready to vacuum seal 30# of smoked salmon that I had worked on for several days.

I called FoodSaver and was haughtily advised that the machines could not be repaired and that they would not supply parts. My only choice was to buy a new machine.

I use the vacuum sealer quite a lot and really did not want to buy another that I knew would fail soon.

I did some research and found http://kodiakhealth.com/catalog/product_in...roducts_id/2562. A VacMaster SVP-15 chamber vacuum sealer. The firm I purchased it from did a superlative job with the transaction.

It was very expensive but I was convinced that I would not have to replace it. They sell parts and can make repairs.

It has been wonderful and now lives next to my cooking area. We use it many times per day.

We have sealed:

Smoked Salmon-first use.

Meat

Fish

Apple cider-from a nearby organic farm

Apples and fruit for baking

Watermelon-the vacuum makes it look like rare beefsteak

Plums-they become translucent

leftovers

Soup and chowders

cheese-we haven't a piece go bad in many months

crackers

mashed potatoes

gravy- did our Thanksgiving turkey gravy ahead and froze it

cookie dough

sweet potatoes

sous vide dishes

partially used onions and vegetables

Specialty flours

Dry waffle mix

sausage spices and curing compounds

chili

The bags are MUCH cheaper than FoodSaver bags. This thing will seal food saver bags so we are using up the old supply. This unit can easily seal bags containing 1 gallon, two whole ducks, a chicken, a 5# roast, etc. Remember you are sealing the exact volume of the product, not part of a cup in a 16 oz. container.

We frequently warm sealed items in the microwave, in a hot water bath and in our sous vide circulating bath.

We frequently re-use bags such as ones used for cheese, just by making them shorter by the amount of the seal.

Based on the many FoodSaver machines I have had and the cost of the bags, I am convinced that this unit will easily save any frequent user money. Plus, it is so easy to use

I have gotten some decorative bags for gift presentations and they make a truly professional presentation. Still cheaper than FoodSaver bags.

I hope this helps someone.

My Food Saver died again this year and I didn't repair it this time. [Camano Chef, there is a repair service for the things near Renton,]. Instead i had seen another posting thread in here somewhere and just reread it. It lead me to VacSealer.

I ended up buying it and would say Camano Chef has the best unit but this is a grand cheaper. In short, I am pleased.

Robert

Seattle