• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hangzhou "Organic" Restaurant

liuzhou

• 5 months later...

This is a fantastic article and will definitely visit this place on my next trip to Shanghai. Hopefully they'll finish that Shanghai-Hangzhou maglev line soon.

I wonder if there are other restaurants in China that are doing this kind of thing.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What a great article - I've been looking forward to a trip to Hangzhou sometime in January. This place will definitely be on my list to visit. I'm not sure about other restaurants, but organic produce is not unknown here. Suzhou even has an organic farm, the May Farm, that delivers vegetable boxes.

I was just there and thought it was awfully overpriced. I haven't sorted through my photos yet, but here's a short summary:

The food is extremely simple, home-made style. Dishes include scrambled eggs, straight up steamed vegetables, etc. This is the stuff that my mom makes on a regular basis. I didn't find the superior ingredients to taste any better than what she uses, except for maybe a duck soup that was possibly richer than usual -- or maybe it was just the power of suggestion.

The price is around USD 240 for three or four people. For that much money you can feed 10 people at a fancy restaurant with much tastier food.

• 1 month later...