• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Coconut Biscuit Recipe

bluechefk

Am looking for a coconut biscuit recipe, or even a basic recipe without the coconut, that i can use as a base for a semifreddo - can anyone help? i used to have a nice go-to recipe, but it seems to have disappeared from my files :angry:

to clarify, i'm looking for a basic, kind of dry, sponge type of cake that can be baked in thin layers & then cut into circles that a semifreddo can be unmolded onto.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Payard has a recipe for what he calls a coconut sponge in his Simply Sensational Desserts book. But to me, it is a sheet of macaroon... so while you could cut it into circles, I think it is a little stickier than what you're looking for but definitely a textural contrast to your semifreddo.

4 large eggs

300 gms sugar

244 gms macaroon (dessicated) coconut

You basically whip the eggs and sugar over a bain marie til warm, then put it on a mixer until it triples in volume. Then fold in the coconut and bake on a sprayed/parchment half sheet pan for about 20 mins at 350. It will be a light golden color.

a joconde works well and here's a link to a recipe here on eGullet that would probably work great.  you could probably even substitute the almond meal with unsweetened dessicated coconut (maybe grind smaller in a blender?) to get your coconut flavored joconde.

Might also use coconut flour...........

i've never seen that...where can you get it? does it have a nice coconut flavor?

thanks, all, for your help! - a joconde is exactly what i was looking for :-) i like the idea of the macaroon sheet, but for this particular application, will probably stick to the joconde layer.

also interested in hearing about the coconut flour!! i have coconut powder on hand, and am thinking that i'll just add that to the basic joconde recipe, but would love to know about the flour for future use!

OK, here is where I got mine

NETRITION

I've only used it a couple times and may need to get the book on cooking with it 'cause it IS different. However, I have liked it for breading chicken and shrimp. I've not made a sweet with it yet, but most of the recipes I find for it ARE for sweets. For example:

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organic_coconut_flour.htm

It has a light but unmistakable coconut fragrance and taste (which I love!) Not at all sweet. It is low carb and gluten free so I'd like to learn much more about working with it.

Kathy