• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tea

Lior

Canadian roots for me, with a granny who was born and raised on a tea plantation in Ceylon (and who drank only coffee - wouldn't touch tea with a 10 foot pole) - like my strong orange pekoe tea with milk - lots of milk!

Hello- I drink different teas different ways :huh: . I drink Chinese and Japanese teas straight. But, I drink teas from India and Ceylon with milk. I love Earl Grey with milk.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

I, with South African childhood roots, best preferit with  strong black tea with milk. People here look at me funny! I think most common is tea, no milk with nana leaves-peppermint?

I am not familiar with "nana leaves-peppermint". What is that, Lior?

Not Lior, but nana = mint. I think it's actually closer to spearmint, rather than peppermint.

I drink an Israeli brand of Nana tea - Wissotzky. It's a black tea with nana added. I drink it black, with sweetener or sugar. A Moroccan/Israeli friend always adds some fresh spearmint leaves to the pot after dinner. It's really lovely.

Here almost everyone drinks tea, no milk with a few sprigs of fresh nana (mint leaves) Everyone or at least a lot of people have them in the garden. Others buy them by the parsley and cilantro in the supermarket. It is also common to add sage leaves to tea and something else that I have to find a translation for!! Often people drink just hot water with nana leaves and no regular tea leaves. Itis a pale green color and very good- with probably too much sugar/honey!!

• 11 months later...

Tonight I was going through the past topics on the Coffee & Tea forum and came across this topic which I find interesting since my own methods of drinking tea have changed since it went from something I drank on occasion to my usual cuppa.

I have always taken black tea with milk and sugar or honey and green teas always with honey. As I started trying new teas and discovered oolongs I was taking those with honey and occasionally milk as well.

It didn't take much time for me to give up the honey, sugar and milk. Now as I'm trying new teas it is hard for me to imagine having them with any adulturations. I'm mainly speaking of greens, oolongs, pu erhs and the likes.

I think if I were to have a cup of black tea I would still want it with milk and honey. Also, if it were summer and I was brewing my green or jasmine teas for iced tea I would still use honey and lime in those.

LuckyGirl - I think you'll find as you continue to explore that even many quality black/red teas are better without milk or sweetner - Darjeelings, Yunnan reds, Keemuns, Ceylons, even Assams. You'll be surprised what great, complex flavors they can have alone.

I was brought up with this well worn maxim: milk for tea; cream for coffee. Tea meant any black tea. For green teas and herbals I always drink it straight but a lot of friends prefer them with honey.

On an aside, in Hong Kong they have a drink that's half black tea, half coffee -- and it's delicious. I drink that with milk.