• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Emerging stars ...?

PhilD

Hugh, in case your trip is not yet complete, Francois Simon raves about La Gazetta in today's Figaro and calls it "sans-faute".  You can read the full review (at least for now) here

Felice, this is one of the most delicious Simon review that I've read. I'm still smiling. Even if we never get there, thanks for bringing it to us.

eGullet member #80.

This isn't exactly a new a place, but Gazetta is a place that doesn't get mentioned often for some reason.   I had an amazing meal there in July and thought at the time that it wouldn't be surprising if it was awarded a star.

Hi. We're visiting Paris in February and Felice's write up of La Gazzetta definitely makes it sound worth visiting. However, after doing a search, I found several less than flattering reports (some using words like "inedible" about certain dishes). Obviously, I take everything I read with a grain of salt, but I would love to hear any other recent comments from other gulleteers.

Hugh, in case your trip is not yet complete, Francois Simon raves about La Gazetta in today's Figaro and calls it "sans-faute". You can read the full review (at least for now) here

So now I'm really in a quandry. We're going to be in Paris for three evenings next week: Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. We have reservations at La Mère Agitée, Clocher Pereire, and l'Ami Jean. So maybe we'll do La Gazzetta instead of La Mère Agitée. We've also been to l'Ami Jean once and loved it and I kinda want to go back (that rice pudding is calling me). Or we could go to La Gazzetta. What do you think? There's a decent write-up with some nice pictures here http://www.hotels-paris-rive-gauche.com/bl...estaurant-paris

Edited by hughw (log)

• 2 weeks later...
This isn't exactly a new a place, but Gazetta is a place that doesn't get mentioned often for some reason.   I had an amazing meal there in July and thought at the time that it wouldn't be surprising if it was awarded a star.

Hi. We're visiting Paris in February and Felice's write up of La Gazzetta definitely makes it sound worth visiting. However, after doing a search, I found several less than flattering reports (some using words like "inedible" about certain dishes). Obviously, I take everything I read with a grain of salt, but I would love to hear any other recent comments from other gulleteers.

Hugh, in case your trip is not yet complete, Francois Simon raves about La Gazetta in today's Figaro and calls it "sans-faute". You can read the full review (at least for now) here

So now I'm really in a quandry. We're going to be in Paris for three evenings next week: Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. We have reservations at La Mère Agitée, Clocher Pereire, and l'Ami Jean. So maybe we'll do La Gazzetta instead of La Mère Agitée. We've also been to l'Ami Jean once and loved it and I kinda want to go back (that rice pudding is calling me). Or we could go to La Gazzetta. What do you think? There's a decent write-up with some nice pictures here http://www.hotels-paris-rive-gauche.com/bl...estaurant-paris

So our report.

On Thursday evening we opted for La Mère Agitée over La Regalade. It was a scene from a comedy and kind of a hoot but definitely disapointng regarding the food. La Mère greeted us along with her large dog (a griffon, I think) and offered us a choice of a mushroom or duck pate (no printed menu) as a starter and Bordeux or Rhone wine. The pates were served warmed on a piece of toast over a salad and were quite tasty, The wine was brought to the table in an already open unlabled bottle. For a main course, we shared some kind of a cross between a charcuterie and a cassolet. It was quite unattractive, but flavorful for what it was. Meanwhile La Mère is constantly letting the dog (who was quite friendly) in and out of the restaurant to the street. Eventually, she walked into the dining room from the kitchen with a large bone for the dog. After the dog tired of the bone, she picked it up off the floor and laid it on my wife's dinner plate as she was clearing it. I can't remember the dessert, but whatever it was, it was not memorable. The cost was 65 euro for the two of us. Oh, how I wished we had gone to la Regalade but my wife wanted to try somewhere new -- she was sorry.

On Friday evening, we had a delightful meal at Clocher Pereire After a celery soup amuse bouche, my wife started with the Risotto du Jour (escargot) and I had a veloute de chataignes (chestnut soup); both were terrific. For our mains, my wife opted for filet de barbue poche, jus de coquillages et d'artichauts, and I had the Filet de Canette with polenta. Both were wonderful. And for dessert, my wife had Ossau Iraty cheese with a black cherry confiture and I, the Moelleux au chocolat Guanaja avec sorbet coco. The cheese was good but my wife fought me for the moelleux. The bill for both of us for the menu (30 euro) along with a decent Cote Luberon and a bottle of mineral water was 95 euro. All in all, a wonderful dinner at a modest cost. John, thanks for the recommendation.

Last night, we decided on La Gazzetta over l'Ami Jean . Big mistake, despite Francois Simon's glowing review. Novelty for the sake of novelty without regard to taste. They offer a menu at 37 euros for 4 plats and at 49 for two additional plats. Unless you order from their extremely limited a la carte menu, there are no choices on the menu. You get what they are serving that evening which means you are not only forced to eat dishes that you probably woudn't order given a choice, you also lose the fun of sharing your partner's food. The entre was a wierd onion soup with three slices of less-than-sushi-grade raw fish floating in it. Next came some kind of langoustine on a bed of fennel. The fennel was OK, the langoustine tasteless and even hard to identify. The main was as the waiter described it "Bambi." Now normally, I would never order venison, but this was actually quite good, served like a fillet mignon, although too rare for my taste. Dessert was two dishes for each of us. One was an uninspired apple tartlet, the other a tasteless ice cream on a bed of butternut squash. Service was perfuntory, too fast, and completely without any personal attention. The waitress's at a Paul's make you feel more wanted. Total was about 110 euro with a bottle of brouilly and a bottle of mineral water. As we returned to our hotel and passed Pizza Chic on the corner next to our hotel and saw the young crowd through the windows enjoying their wine in decent size glasses, their designer pizzas, etc., my wife says "next time you want to drag me into the 12th for a mediocore meal, take me here instead."

Hughw.I have noticed that you take chances in the hope of finding a jewel.

Its too bad you did not choose,Jadis,L'entetee,Afaria.le grand Pan or even au gout du jour'.

Bonne chance

Next time........................Thanks

Au gout du jour. Cute.

However I agree with hughw about trying places that are steps - or even miles - off the beaten path. Whether they are new and unknown - or so well known that they are no longer considered "trendy". For what it's worth - with places *on* the beaten path - I find that people are frequently reticent to say (at least in public) that they had sub-optimal experiences (although I have had such opinions expressed to me in private). Robyn

I need to toss in here that any of us could do well to heed pierre's timely reports. He lives in Paris much of the year and spends his evenings prowling the outer arrondisements for good eats. He rarely finds a dud. His posts are a fine guide to eating well before the hoard finds the address.

eGullet member #80.

I need to toss in here that any of us could do well to heed pierre's timely reports.  He lives in Paris much of the year and spends his evenings prowling the outer arrondisements for good eats.  He rarely finds a dud.  His posts are a fine guide to eating well before the hoard finds the address.

Thank you Margaret.specially coming from someone that i have never met.Unlike some people,You have good knowledge of the Paris dining scene and always exhibit good judgment.Incidentally tonight I am dining at la table d'Eugene ,which is in the 18th arrondissement, 1 hr away from my home in the Eiffel tower area

Incidentally tonight I am dining at la table d'Eugene ,which is in the 18th arrondissement, 1 hr away from my home in the Eiffel tower area

In my opinion an excellent choice for good rapport qualité/prix, but I can't imagine how it would take an hour to get there from the Eiffel Tower, particularly with your intimate knowledge of Paris, was that a mis-type?

Thank you Margaret.specially coming from someone that i have never met.Unlike some people,You have  good knowledge of the Paris dining scene and always exhibit good judgment.Incidentally tonight I am dining at la table d'Eugene ,which is in the 18th arrondissement, 1 hr away from my home in the Eiffel tower area

Did you walk to the restaurant???

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Incidentally tonight I am dining at la table d'Eugene ,which is in the 18th arrondissement, 1 hr away from my home in the Eiffel tower area

In my opinion an excellent choice for good rapport qualité/prix, but I can't imagine how it would take an hour to get there from the Eiffel Tower, particularly with your intimate knowledge of Paris, was that a mis-type?

If you're really interested in knowing why it will take about 1 hr to go door to door to the restaurant i'll send you the itinerary in a personal email.I am curious though as to why this is important to you.

If you're really interested in knowing why it will take about 1 hr to go door to door to the restaurant i'll send you the itinerary in a personal email.I am curious though as to why this is important to you.

It is not really important to me, I was just curious, as I often stay at the corner of Rapp/St. Dominique and it doesn't take me that long either on the direct #80 bus or a 1 transfer metro ride. As fat and out of shape as I am, it would undoubtedly take me even longer to walk it, as the up-hill part in Montmartre would require a stop for liquid sustenance. :raz:

HI Laidback.You're right, the rapport quality/prix at table d'eugene was excellent.

You made me curious about the time it takes to go there .It took me 54 min .I have

good

It is not really important to me, I was just curious, as I often stay at the corner of Rapp/St. Dominique and it doesn't take me that long either on the direct #80 bus or a 1 transfer metro ride. As fat and out of shape as I am, it would undoubtedly take me even longer to walk it, as the up-hill part in Montmartre would require a stop for liquid sustenance. :raz:

Laidback.It took me 54 min to get to table d'eugene.The rapport quality/prix was excellent as you said.