• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Po Boy Preservation festival

joiei

It looks like the PoBoy Fest is going to be the place to be in the city on SUnday. I plan on being there for some sampling.

Here is the list of po'boy shops participating

Acme Oyster House

Asian Pacific Cafe

Banh Mi Sao Mai

Carnival Brands of New Orleans

Catering Connection

Crêpes A La Cart

Crescent Pie & Sausage

Di Martino's Famous Muffaleta

Drago's Seafood Restaurant

Fire Station #25

Gattuso's Neighborhood Bar & Grill

Gelato Pazzo Caffé

Grand Isle Restaraunt

Jacques-Imo's Café / Crabby Jacks

Mahoney's Po-Boy Shop

Michael Joyner Catering

New Orleans Hamburger & Seafood Co.

Parkway Bakery and Tavern

Pascal's Manale

Red Fish Grill

Saltwater Grill & Seafood Market

Sally's Country Gourmet Foods

Sammy's Deli on Elysian Fields

Serio's Po-boys & Deli

Sigma Tau Gamma Alumni

Squeal

Station 8801

T.J. Gourmet

Vaucresson Sausage Co. Inc.

Ye Olde College Inn

View food vendor menus

The Music

Bands scheduled to perform at the 2008 New Orleans Po-Boy Preservation Festival include:

Rebirth Brass Band

Amanda Shaw and the Cute Guys

The Iguanas

Papa Grows Funk

Walter "Wolfman" Washington and the Road Masters

David Batiste & The Gladiators

Los Poboycitos

Andy J. Forest

View music schedule

Photos of the 2007 New Orleans Po-Boy Preservation Festival by Zander White. Share your Po-Boy Fest photos and videos with us on Flickr.

The Art

More than 60 of the best known artists from the New Orleans area will be offering their one of a kind, unique art for sale at the Po-Boy Preservation Festival.

View artists and artwork listings

The Events

This year's Festival will feature two stages with live music, arts and crafts, a silent auction, a children’s section with games and prizes, a "Corner Grocery Photo Experience" photo booth, panel discussions covering the history of the po-boy (starting at 11:00 a.m.) and more.

View full event schedule

Email this page

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Last's year festival was pretty much a nightmare because it wound up being about 10 times more popular than anyone expected. You couldn't move down that street.

Sounds like they're much better prepared (and more spread out) this year. I've also heard that vendors will be selling sample sizes of po-boys so that you can try several.

Should be a great event.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Last year's was even more depressing because of the glimpses of how good it could have been. I've got about a trillion things to do this weekend, but I still plan on at least attempting to get out there, if for no other reason than to see if they've followed through.

Last year's was even more depressing because of the glimpses of how good it could have been.  I've got about a trillion things to do this weekend, but I still plan on at least attempting to get out there, if for no other reason than to see if they've followed through.

Yeah, I sadly had to leave without even tasting a po-boy. My wife was also 8 months pregnant at the time, and crowds were so thick she worried about her safety. Easy to get pushed over when you're off balance.

I certainly want to see how it goes this year. Here's hoping it's great.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Just got back. Was certainly just as crowded as last year, and that really led to lessened enjoyment for me. Decent selection of restaurants, good prices. Being shoulder to shoulder with everyone else there, constantly milling about, really was not fun.

I got a little excited about Squeal-- a new "BBQ" joint on Oak, but I had a pulled pork sandwich and the excitement evaporated. No smoke, tons of gloppy sauce, more slaw than pork. No go.

Just got back.  Was certainly just as crowded as last year, and that really led to lessened enjoyment for me.  Decent selection of restaurants, good prices.  Being shoulder to shoulder with everyone else there, constantly milling about, really was not fun.

I got a little excited about Squeal-- a new "BBQ" joint on Oak, but I had a pulled pork sandwich and the excitement evaporated.  No smoke, tons of gloppy sauce, more slaw than pork.  No go.

I went down for just a bit, wanting to see some music, more than anything else. That didn't exactly work out. It was entirely too crowded to wade into, and, trust me, I'm not afraid of, nor do I dislike, crowds. But, they do make it hard to do something casual, free or not, without trying much harder than "casual" should require. I just wasn't into it today.

I'm afraid that this thing needs to move to expand to the point where they are using more than the area they currently occupy. Entirely too tight. I went to meet some folks and just generally run into some people I know, but I ended up getting back on my bike and going for a long ride on the levee, even though that's not exactly what I had in mind when I left my house.

On the other hand, congrats to everyone involved. It's nice to see things that work, especially in this place that has so many things that don't work. I hope that everyone had a great time. It looked like they were to me.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

But, they do make it hard to do something casual, free or not, without trying much harder than "casual" should require. I just wasn't into it today.

I felt the same way. I wanted to hang out a little bit, and I felt forced to cut through it efficiently if I wanted to get out alive.

I'm afraid that this thing needs to move to expand to the point where they are using more than the area they currently occupy. Entirely too tight.

My girlfriend and I were discussing this. I appreciate the cultural aspect of being on Oak, but necessity dictates a move to a more spacious area. Even if they wanted to keep it in Carrollton, Palmer Park isn't a long haul.

On the other hand, congrats to everyone involved. It's nice to see things that work, especially in this place that has so many things that don't work.  I hope that everyone had a great time. It looked like they were to me.

Prices and food were well done, and it did seem like people were enjoying themselves.

I wasn't able to get anywhere near a po'boy except to watch the lucky ones who made it to the front of the lines. I didn't stay to long although the music at the stage backing up to Carrollton was good. The secondary plan was put into place and we went over to Magazine and hit Il Divino for some gelato, the satsuma-fennel was very interesting.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!