• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal fried rice

Ok I know this is a weird request but I need to find out how to make Chinese fried rice Montreal style..if such a thing exsists. While I did grow up there I didn't start to like Chinese food until I was older. I have been asked to make fried rice like we got back home but I haven't a clue as to what would be different from regular fried rice..any suggestions? Oh and one other thing..back in the 70's there was a brand of fried rice that came in a box..I think there was a can in the box and maybe seasoning..does anyone know the brand name? Thanks.

so upon further investigation it turns out that there was a "coating" on the rice..would this be more than soy sauce..maybe something thicker? Any ideas out there?? Any help is appreciated.

I don't remember the brand name but hubby and I were talking about this very recently. The can was red, as I recall, with silver writing? It contained just white rice and the seasoning package was added in the pan. It turned out to be a very, very dark colour and there was little identifiable in there except the rice and the soy sauce. It was always a challenge to get the rice out of the can!

Edited to add:

I think this may have been it!

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

so upon further investigation it turns out that there was a "coating" on the rice..would this be more than soy sauce..maybe something thicker? Any ideas out there?? Any help is appreciated.

I don't remember the brand name but hubby and I were talking about this very recently. The can was red, as I recall, with silver writing? It contained just white rice and the seasoning package was added in the pan. It turned out to be a very, very dark colour and there was little identifiable in there except the rice and the soy sauce. It was always a challenge to get the rice out of the can!

Edited to add:

I think this may have been it!

Thanks Anna N!! That sure looks like it.