• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

annecros

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

My most favourite memory of Hawaii!

In fact, That was what Obama ordered for lunch, when he was golfing in Hawaii.

dcarch

DH and I visited Maui, Kuai and Oahu many, many times and I remember the towering displays of Spam offered in the drug stores as well as Costco.  The native Hawaiians clearly love the stuff.

On 21/11/2008 at 10:29 PM, SeanDirty said:

My sister always made spam fried rice which was always great, if you cut it into small cubes its a great dish...

I've seen Spam® fried rice here in China, too. That said, real Spam is expensive here and not that easy to find, so cheaper Chinese clone brands are often used instead. These clones are sometimes canned but more often sausage shaped in plastic tubes.

It somewhat amused me to find out that Spam in Chinese is "世棒® (shì bàng)"

sspam.jpg.74d9ec9902fa676c81587d302724b8ad.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

If my memory serves me correctly, both my Mom and Grandmas used to make grilled Spam and cheese sandwiches. It was so long ago, but I believe they fried the Spam slices first and the cheese slice would kind of attached to it. Then that brick was slid onto the bread, and fried up like a grilled cheese. 

• Like 1

How about this?  The annual Spam Jam festival in Waikiki will be held on April 28.  

Something for every Spam lover!  Don't miss it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

I believe that spam is more than 50% fat.

According to the published nutritional information, Classic Spam is 29%  fat. Spam Lite is 14%.

http://www.spam.com/varieties

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

I bought it once. I figured fried would be best but I couldn't get past the smell of it in the tin.  Au revoir!

In the military it saved our lives:

zmd3lv.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 6