• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam

annecros

i do not think the SPAM  is anything other than what it is.

having around is part of it. n I might have a can or two 

20 + years old. .  I ought look .  the tree cans are down stairs.

w the 25 % reduced salt cans   

I have two .    

and sliced thin-ish , and crispy each side 

its there waiting .

maybe not 20 years  for these to cans

• Like 1

I may have written this before, but one day in the country I served the grand-kids spam when they'd already eaten me out of hot dogs.    I cut it into fingers and fried the sides crisp.   They LOVED it.    Many months later I offered it to them again, and the cheeky one quipped, "It that that stuff that looks like dog food but is really delicious?"

• Haha 10

eGullet member #80.

2 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I may have written this before, but one day in the country I served the grand-kids spam when they'd already eaten me out of hot dogs.    I cut it into fingers and fried the sides crisp.   They LOVED it.    Many months later I offered it to them again, and the cheeky one quipped, "It that that stuff that looks like dog food but is really delicious?"

Burst out laughing at this one.  Thanks.  I needed that.  

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

28 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Musubi is tasty stuff.

I like musubi...spam sushi!

How important is the Nori?  I have everything else.  Could I wrap it in Romaine perhaps?  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

17 minutes ago, Darienne said:

How important is the Nori?  I have everything else.  Could I wrap it in Romaine perhaps?  

I think you could just try it on rice with something vinegary/pickly on the side  Think of it as smushy ham

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

It's horrible.  The taste is horrible and the texture is horrible.  Our dog liked it.  But then she likes deer poop also.  

Did you really taste it direct from the can?  Eeewww!  Very thin slices, fried up crispy can make a nice sandwich on toast. Small dice are similarly tasty when added to fried rice.  But raw?  Eeeewww!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, heidih said:

I think you could just try it on rice with something vinegary/pickly on the side  Think of it as smushy ham

Problem here, heidi.  I don't actually like ham.   Spiral ham yes...but otherwise...no.    

I think I"ll marinate it and we'll eat it on a bed of rice.  With ...I don't know yet... I could fry the rice.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

32 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Problem here, heidi.  I don't actually like ham.

If you don’t like ham, I can’t see you liking fake ham, no matter how crispy you make it. 
Best use: ration it out as pup treats if she’s enthusiastic. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

If you don’t like ham, I can’t see you liking fake ham, no matter how crispy you make it. 
Best use: ration it out as pup treats if she’s enthusiastic. 

What I don't like most about ham is that to me it is basically sort of 'smushy'...except that spiral ham is not.  The only large piece of meat my Mother ever cooked was a ham and for reasons unknown to me when we ate out I always ordered ham.  I think I had no idea what anything else was and I didn't like steak, having to eat it almost every night, broiled to shoe leather.  

Left home...and never ate ham again until a friend in Moab pretty much forced me into trying spiral ham.  Now that I liked.  

AM going to marinate the stuff and fry it and try it once.  On rice.  I'll report back. 

(Sorry...I feel as if I am whining.....)

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 hours ago, Darienne said:

I think I'd just eliminate the wrapper. I can't see romaine here.

@Darienne I'd marinate and fry.  You are right...out of the can its gross.

14 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Very Clever!

• Like 1

Having reviewed it all once more, I think I'll go with plan B.  Mandy will love having the stuff over the next few days and we won't buy it again.

Thanks so much for all the information and help.  This forum is really the tops!  ❤️

• Haha 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I only do Spam in the Musubi form, and that's also with a copious amount of beer drinking and being around Hawaiian friends.   I have had Spam pizza where the Spam is in place of pepperoni and gets a char to it and that's a pretty good use mixed with the cheese and pizza sauce.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Slice it thin. Fry it crisp. Dice it. Throw it in a skillet with hash browns. Top with an over-easy egg. You’re welcome.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I’ve wavered off and on for years about trying Spam. I bought some during the pandemic and it was via an Instacart delivered and hit its expiration within like 6 months. Which I noticed a year later. 

While I want to try it, I’ve decided not to. If it’s on a menu while dining or ordering out, I will definitely get it. But I already love breakfast sausage, bacon, ham and Taylor ham. I don’t need another salty meat in my life! 

I just noticed something strange about the Spam® sold in China. For some reason, this famous processed pork product is labelled "牛餐肉" (niú cān ròu) which means beef!

spam.thumb.jpg.18356680d53381a13478e003720664b2.jpg

Whatever, I've never bought it.

I do know however that it is usually used as a ham substitute in fried rice. That said, cheaper Chinese clones brands are much more often used.

Spam® itself us also available pre-sliced and in various flavours  including 'black pepper" because, as everyone in China knows, western food is never consumed without lashings of black pepper.

2Spams.jpg.bada94849a5f8be6852e24aeec58c797.jpg

Last two images from Taobao on-line shopping listings.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I just noticed something strange about the Spam® sold in China. For some reason, this famous precessed pork product is labelled "牛餐肉" (niú cān ròu) which means beef!

spam.thumb.jpg.18356680d53381a13478e003720664b2.jpg

Whatever, I've never bought it.

I do know however that it is usually used as a ham substitute in fried rice. That said, cheaper Chinese clones brands are much more often used.

Spam® itself us also available pre-sliced and in various flavours  including 'black pepper" because, as everyone in China knows, western food is never consumed with lashings of black pepper.

2Spams.jpg.bada94849a5f8be6852e24aeec58c797.jpg

Last two images from Taobao on-line shopping listings.

What does it say on the ingredients list ?! My Chinese colleagues are quite vocal about the chance to be served „beef“ that’s essentially pork

• Thanks 1

if one substitutes "liver wurst" for spam - search engines produce near identical hate posts.

my all time favorite: 

them: "I hate liver!"

me:  "how was it cooked?"

them:  "don't know, never had it."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2