• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam

annecros

32 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Spam to the rescue again. 

“There is at least one hint of a silver lining to the cost of living crisis. That’s right, Spam is back. According to Waitrose, sales are up 36% this year, as consumers turn their backs on more expensive fresh meat.”

Here.

I saw that. The only recipe that really appealed was the Spam bánh mì (I refuse to use their silly name). But I had that in Vietnam once.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I saw that. The only recipe that really appealed was the Spam bánh mì (I refuse to use their silly name). But I had that in Vietnam once.

Nothing wrong with spam musubi either …

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Funny, but that was the one that appealed to me too and I was trying to figure out if I could  pull it off.  The biggest challenge would be the roll. I know there are appropriate rolls available in certain shops, but they are not the ones that do online sales. Still it’s not out of the question if I put some effort into it.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I thought I should re-supply my pantry with Spam. Holy cow (pig?). $4.99 Canadian for 340g. That works out to $7.33 a pound. And if I want Tocino flavoured Spam then it’s $5.99 a can.  Cheaper than grass-fed beef I’ll give you but…

• Confused 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

spam be like when i ask my friends what was the food like at a new eatery and they reply with " it was really cheap, we are going again" but what was the food like?  "It was cheap and we are going again"🙄

• Haha 1

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

• 3 weeks later...

say it isn’t so. 

Figgy pudding, spam.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 11/7/2022 at 10:02 AM, liuzhou said:

To me its qualities are along the lines of Viet Cha Lua so it makes taste and texture sense. I prefer it grilled over charcoal 

44 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Oh dear god - I'm surprised there isn't Pumpkin Spice Spam

Here you go.

• Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Along the same lines, my husband gets a can of corned beef in his stocking every year. He knows that he is to eat it when I'm not around. I love a well prepared corned beef, but that stuff is too close in appearance to what we used to feed our big Lab when I was a kid.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

Along the same lines, my husband gets a can of corned beef in his stocking every year. He knows that he is to eat it when I'm not around. I love a well prepared corned beef, but that stuff is too close in appearance to what we used to feed our big Lab when I was a kid.

I'm with your husband, @MaryIsobel!  I finally tried Spam (when she heard I'd never tasted it, @suzilightning sent me a package of it - one of the many things she sent over the years ❤️) and I didn't care for it at all.  The flavor was ok, but no matter how hard a sear I put on a slice, it was mushy and, to me, just an unpleasant texture.  Canned corned beef, on the other hand, I grew up on.  Sliced and fried in butter, it was a cheap, rich and tasty alternative breakfast meat.  I don't try to pretend it has much of a relation to actual corned beef, but I really do like the rich salty BEEFINESS of it.  😁

• Like 3

We lived several years on the edge of the Navajo Nation, and Spam is very prominent there as well. It featured on several breakfast menus, enough that I forced my children to watch Monty Python's Spam & Eggs skit. They didn't laugh, heathens.

The explanation given to me (which is the same given by my old friend who grew up in Guam) was that it was something that would keep long term without refrigeration, so it just made sense to have it around. Of course people eventually developed a taste for it...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

• 1 month later...

More Spam.
(Note the striking lack of an editor to catch the discrepancy between the introduction of spam in 1937 and its magical ability to get the hungry through the Great Depression (c1929-1939). The worst was over by the time Spam came on the scene. 

Still, there are four recipes for Spam lovers like me and some interesting discussion about its popularity with various populations.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

More Spam.
(Note the striking lack of an editor to catch the discrepancy between the introduction of spam in 1937 and its magical ability to get the hungry through the Great Depression (c1929-1939). The worst was over by the time Spam came on the scene. 

Still, there are four recipes for Spam lovers like me and some interesting discussion about its popularity with various populations.

My favorite uses for Spam is in rice like arroz con gandules. It just works soo much better then ham. And I actually prefer spam slices on my egg n cheese english muffins, rather then pork roll which is a staple in my area.

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally, after wondering for Lo!  these many years, I asked Ed to buy Spam today.  We just opened it.  My curiosity is satisfied.

It's horrible.  The taste is horrible and the texture is horrible.  Our dog liked it.  But then she likes deer poop also.  

Now we have to eat it.  Maybe buried in Dijon mustard or horseradish or chipotle sauce.  We could give it to the dog, but it's probably not good for her.  

Never again. 😖

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Haha 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Slice it, fry it until it is quite crispy,  chop it up and add it to scrambled eggs. No need to Salt the eggs because spam has plenty of salt. Unfortunately, you are trying it 20 years too late. It was never all that great but at least it was a lot better then. When I was a kid, a fried spam sandwich was quite a treat for someone who had never eaten anything but plain old boring real meat.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Now we have to eat it.

Why on earth do you have to eat some thing that you find so disgusting? Surely you will not cause cosmic disaster if you bin the stuff. I agree that it's unfortunate to waste food but it's also a bit over-the-top to eat something that disgusts you. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Slice it, fry it until it is quite crispy,  chop it up and add it to scrambled eggs. No need to Salt the eggs because spam has plenty of salt. Unfortunately, you are trying it 20 years too late. It was never all that great but at least it was a lot better then. When I was a kid, a fried spam sandwich was quite a treat for someone who had never eaten anything but plain old boring real meat.

Well, OK.  Fried it might just work.   Maybe covered in ketchup also?  

And as far as 20 years too late...I can believe it.  I remember pumpernickel, sour cream, Kraft Dinner, Grape Nuts, and no doubt many others before they became so changed as to be almost unrecognisable.  

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Why on earth do you have to eat some thing that you find so disgusting? Surely you will not cause cosmic disaster if you bin the stuff. I agree that it's unfortunate to waste food but it's also a bit over-the-top to eat something that disgusts you. 

Probably for the same reason that folks finish reading books once they start them.  Yes, it is horrible but I never used the word 'disgust'.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.