• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam

annecros

I like Spam so there!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

Perhaps its appearance in Japan had more to do with starvation of a defeated population and the sudden excess of the product in the "winner" countries? Certainly as a child, after the second world war, Camp Pie (pretty sure it was the same as spam) was a poor peoples food, whereas during the war it was a way to feed the troops, because it kept so well.

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

3 hours ago, Bernie said:

Perhaps its appearance in Japan had more to do with starvation of a defeated population and the sudden excess of the product in the "winner" countries? Certainly as a child, after the second world war, Camp Pie (pretty sure it was the same as spam) was a poor peoples food, whereas during the war it was a way to feed the troops, because it kept so well.

Indeed. Spam was used to feed starving refugees and others after WW2 in Japan, Guam and other places around Asia.

Eater has a reasonable short history of Spam here .

Asia's present-day fondness for Spam stemmed directly from WWII and following conflicts, during which an entire generation grew up with Spam.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 1 year later...

A little redundant info...

"How Spam Became an Essential Part of Hawaiian Cuisine"

"We know what you're thinking; SPAM® products must grow on trees there. That would be neat, but to believe it you must have taken a coconut to the head. The true root of the island's love for SPAM® products goes back to World War II, when the luncheon meat was served to GIs."

In the interview with Philadelphia restaurateur Kiki Aranita, click on the linked words "Spam Musubi birthday cake" to see the cake (8th paragraph). 

My sister-in-law is Filipino and enjoys Spam Musubi...always orders it at the Hawaiian restaurants in San Diego.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

26 minutes ago, Toliver said:

In the interview with Philadelphia restaurateur Kiki Aranita, click on the linked words "Spam Musubi birthday cake" to see the cake (8th paragraph). 

I am not of fan of observing my birthday nor of most sweets but I'd be most delighted to celebrate with that cake!

• Haha 1

I've never cared for Spam. However,  I discovered that I like to use it for hash.  Hash has always been dinner food here. Bacon fat, onions, shredded potatoes and Spam make an easy dinner we both enjoy. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I fell down the Spam rabbit hole and found this:

Spam banh mi!

I am hungry

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 months later...

And Simon, the author, was once an eG member. 

12 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'm told today is the date that Spam® was first trademark registered, back in 1937. Happy Birthday!

And Simon, the author, was a member of eG in the distant past. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

55 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'm told today is the date that Spam® was first trademark registered, back in 1937. Happy Birthday!

Trademarks have been around much longer than that, I think.

No. No. No. And I am a huge fan of Spam but just No!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Exactly my initial thought, but ...

The longer I think about it, the more sense it makes. I feel that it‘ll prepared in my kitchen at one point* ...

*most likely when the cook is drunk. So chances are high this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 6

Okay. Spam ice cream. I'll climb out on a limb and say that's disgusting. At the very least it's a waste of bacon, although Hormel bacon ("real Hormel bacon!") isn't exactly something to write home about. However, @Duvel, if you are serious, I suggest you make a video of the little one (btw he's not so little anymore!) along with his own commentary reviewing the dessert. Oh, wait, will it be dessert or breakfast? If he likes it I'm going to call child services.

Just crossed the Kentucky State Fair off my bucket list and added a year to my life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 year later...

Spam to the rescue again. 

“There is at least one hint of a silver lining to the cost of living crisis. That’s right, Spam is back. According to Waitrose, sales are up 36% this year, as consumers turn their backs on more expensive fresh meat.”

Here.

Edited by Anna N
To correct link. (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog