• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam

annecros

DH and I visited Maui, Kuai and Oahu many, many times and I remember the towering displays of Spam offered in the drug stores as well as Costco.  The native Hawaiians clearly love the stuff.

On 21/11/2008 at 10:29 PM, SeanDirty said:

My sister always made spam fried rice which was always great, if you cut it into small cubes its a great dish...

I've seen Spam® fried rice here in China, too. That said, real Spam is expensive here and not that easy to find, so cheaper Chinese clone brands are often used instead. These clones are sometimes canned but more often sausage shaped in plastic tubes.

It somewhat amused me to find out that Spam in Chinese is "世棒® (shì bàng)"

sspam.jpg.74d9ec9902fa676c81587d302724b8ad.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

If my memory serves me correctly, both my Mom and Grandmas used to make grilled Spam and cheese sandwiches. It was so long ago, but I believe they fried the Spam slices first and the cheese slice would kind of attached to it. Then that brick was slid onto the bread, and fried up like a grilled cheese. 

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

I believe that spam is more than 50% fat.

According to the published nutritional information, Classic Spam is 29%  fat. Spam Lite is 14%.

http://www.spam.com/varieties

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

My first thought was just, no.  But the spices that go into "pumpkin spice" stuff often turn up in ham glazes so maybe it's not that bad.  Or maybe it is?

Yeah you may be right.  Glazed ham isn't a super favorite of mine, but if I see a can of this, I will take one for the team.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Is nothing sacred anymore?

Pumpkin spice flavoured Spam.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 9/8/2019 at 7:35 PM, dcarch said:

That makes Spam the same as Kobe beef

Well it might if it were remotely true. Spam in nowhere near 50% fat, as I pointed out at the time. Spam  is around 27% fat. Kobe beef is around 18% - 25% fat, depending where it comes from. American "kobe" is at the higher end of the scale.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

This has been discussed on FaceBook, on Twitter and there are some rather inventive posts with the list of "Official flavors"

and some possible "new flavors."

Besides the Pumpkin Spice 

SPAM® Products To Add Flavor To Your Food With Our Canned Meat Varieties. SPAM® Teriyaki. SPAM® Oven Roasted Turkey. SPAM® Classic. SPAM® Hickory Smoke. SPAM® Lite. 

I have never purchased Spam.  I ate enough during my few years in the Army to put me off it for life. However, I did have this culinary adventure.

I was married in October 1961 and did little cooking until several months into 1962 because we were waiting for our home to be finished. 

I had a stack of new cookbooks to go with the old ones that had been gifted to me by family. My husband had very little input, not a "foodie" by any measure.  However from time to time he would see a recipe in one of his newspapers and suggest I try it.

And so it was with "Spiced Spring Ham Loaf" which was printed in the L.A. Times Sunday magazine.

I spent quite a bit of time, chopping and mixing and pressing and baking and finally it was done.

My husband heard me laughing hysterically in the kitchen, walked in and asked what happened. 

I stopped laughing long enough to tell him, "I have spent all this time and the result is SPAM!" Then continued laughing.

Being a NAVY man, he immediately understood what I meant.

As he walked away he said, "I'll call for reservations at the Smoke House."  

It didn't go to waste. I wrapped it in aluminum foil, put it in the fridge for overnight and the next morning offered it to my cleaner.

She was happy to have it.

That taught me a lesson and to extrapolate what a result might actually taste like instead of blindly following a recipe because it is published in one of the big papers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I love the iconic packaging; it's always seemed so mysterious. The few times I've seen it in a prominent display it always looked like an art project (I think I saw towers of Spam in Hawaii.)  I don't remember anyone I knew ever buying or eating it to my knowledge. I have bought and opened one can, and that was several years ago, mostly out of curiosity. I tried it fried in slices and tried it with potatoes, cut in little cubes for hash. Neither method convinced me to ever try it again. I found it really horrid.

I wonder if most of those people who like Spam didn't start eating it in childhood? Clearly there are many things people eat in this world because they grew up eating them. Surely no one ever ate Peeps for the first time as a 60 year old and then continued to eat them. Or did they? Fess up!

Upthread someone mentioned the Paul Theroux quote. Yes, it's racist, and it would be hard to put it to the test.

• Like 2

I can deal with it sliced pretty thin (less than 1/2 inch, closer to 1/4) and fried crispy on the outside. Might be decent cubed up and fried with potatoes as hash; can't say I've ever tried that.

It's also been at least 30 years since I ate any. Maybe 40.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I love the iconic packaging; it's always seemed so mysterious. The few times I've seen it in a prominent display it always looked like an art project (I think I saw towers of Spam in Hawaii.)  I don't remember anyone I knew ever buying or eating it to my knowledge. I have bought and opened one can, and that was several years ago, mostly out of curiosity. I tried it fried in slices and tried it with potatoes, cut in little cubes for hash. Neither method convinced me to ever try it again. I found it really horrid.

I wonder if most of those people who like Spam didn't start eating it in childhood? Clearly there are many things people eat in this world because they grew up eating them. Surely no one ever ate Peeps for the first time as a 60 year old and then continued to eat them. Or did they? Fess up!

Upthread someone mentioned the Paul Theroux quote. Yes, it's racist, and it would be hard to put it to the test.

SPAM is very popular in Hawaii.  Nutritionists have been warning Hawaiians for decades that it is detrimental to their health  to consume so much of it but most of them ignore the warnings.

There are several Hawaiian cookbooks featuring Spam.  One is Hawaii Cooks with Spam  and it was featured on an informercial a few months ago.

I watched for a while because it was like one of those horrific videos of a highway pileup in slow motion where you think it can't get any worse and then it does.  

I had nightmares.

• Sad 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I love spam musubi, a habit I picked up on Maui. Spam is ubiquitous there. I found it offered as a breakfast meat at Burger King even. 

It it isn’t much different than Taylor pork roll.(or Taylor ham @MetsFan5)...except the latter is even better. 

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 4