• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam

annecros

I live in Seattle and we have a boat. This boat is kind of big at least if you live away from real water. We have kept this boat loaded to be our hidy hole if an earthquake ever shut down the city.

It is loaded with lots of rice , grain, canned veggies etc and a bunch of canned meat. I don't care much for Spam but it is protein when the world doesn't work.

If I got one of those Spam cook books, I'd put it on the boat. I will eat it if I have to, but it would be nice to know how to hide it in dish.

The bad part is the salt, the Puget Sound is salt water so we really don't need much more.

Robert

Seattle

Why would you want to hide the flavor of delicious spam!!

mmmmm Spam...

Well i grew up in Singapore, and we werent to well of to boot, so spam was a decent part of my life when i was a child.

My sister always made spam fried rice which was always great, if you cut it into small cubes its a great dish...

Or you can crisp up spam just like bacon w eggs and toast...

Or spam sandwiches... or spam burgers...

• Like 1

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

Spam quesadillas:

Use whatever cheese you like, julienned spam, chopped scallions, sliced black olives and hots to taste.

Latin friends give me a really funny look whan I mention these.

BB

Food is all about history and geography.

As a little kid, I remember cutting myself with the "Church Key" type of opener and the ragged edges of the can.

Everything is pop top now. Lazy housewives! :biggrin:

It does season the entire dish, and goes a long way in a pinch. I do usually donate it to Food for Families after Hurricane Season is over, just to keep my pantry rotated. Hubby gets a wild hair for a Fried Spam Sandwich with a slab of tomato every now and then. Oh, and a round of raw onion, on toast. Lot's of Miracle Whip.

On one memorable occasion with my uncle we made a fire out of dried up cow pies and then put Spam on some sticks and roasted it over said fire. It gave it quite an interesting taste if I remember correctly.

I wish I was joking.

I saw your post just as I'd taken a sip of coffee, and nearly sprayed it all over my monitor. :laugh::laugh:

My grandmother makes a salad all summer called, conveniently enough, Summer Salad. It has Spam, shell pasta, baked beans (rinsed of sauce), cheddar cheese, mayo, dill, and a whole host of veggies. I love it, but it's really the only way I've eaten Spam other than a kind of leftover camping hash (eggs, potatoes, onions, Spam and whatever meat or veggies were leftover from dinner the night before).

I bet that is good, I use to eat spam and macaroni and cheese all the time as a kid...

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

American Thanksgiving and just watched a History Channel presentation that included the history of SPAM. interesting since it was back to WWI but more importantly back to WWII when our 50th state embrassed it.

also dealt with birdseye, swanson, post, kellog, etc. very interesting

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 9 years later...

In the NYC area I’ve seen actual tv commercials for Spam, on a regular basis. I’ve never seen a Spam commercial that I can recall and I’ve never eaten it. 

I’m not totally opposed, as Taylor Ham is probably a cousin of Spam’s and I do love a good Taylor ham, egg and cheese with salt, pepper and ketchup on a Kaiser roll. 

I’m a bit curious as to how or even if there is a way to make Spam palatable. Maybe pan fried?  I’ll be on my own for a bit in a week and may just try it out. 

• Like 1

@MetsFan5 - pan fried is good, especially now that they sell individual slices.  Growing up I did like it baked with the cloves and pineapple......course I liked fishsticks and frozen French fries, too.  with ketchup.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

7 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I’m a bit curious as to how or even if there is a way to make Spam palatable.

Spam musubi?

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I remember my Mom having a fondness for Pennsylvania Dutch scrapple though I've never eaten it.  Wouldn't Spam be quite similar to scrapple?

The TV ads are running in this area as well.

Edited by lindag (log)

@lindag

scrapple is not related to SPAM in any way.

Ive soaked 1/4 " slices of SPAM in very cold water for several minutes

( it very very salty otherwise )

patted dry and pan fried until crispy

its not bad that way at all

Polynesians love SPAM

w something sweet.

its the result of WWII   and what fell off the CargoShips.

20 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Polynesians love SPAM

w something sweet.

its the result of WWII   and what fell off the CargoShips.

Indeed. Hawaii is the largest consumer of spam. Its very obvious there. The Burger King on Maui has a spam breakfast sandwich.

• Confused 1

In his wonderful book, The Happy Isles of Oceania, author Paul Theroux says he was told

by natives that the reason Spam is so popular there  is because it is the nearest  in taste to 

human flesh.  Long memories of Long Meat as they called human "dinner guests."

Had to refresh my fading memory.  The natives called humans they planned

to eat. "Long Pigs".  I may have posted this before so feel free to take it down.

Edited by IowaDee (log)
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, lindag said:

I remember my Mom having a fondness for Pennsylvania Dutch scrapple though I've never eaten it.  Wouldn't Spam be quite similar to scrapple?

The TV ads are running in this area as well.

Nothing close.  Spam is ground ham and ham-adjacent stuff reshaped into a loaf.  Basically the salty cured meat analog to American cheese.  Scrapple is uncured porky bits (both offal and meat/skin kinda stuff), pork broth, and cornmeal made into a loaf. Only similarity is processing into a loaf shape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

57 minutes ago, cdh said:

Spam is ground ham and ham-adjacent stuff reshaped into a loaf.

That's supposed to be the basic premise but it ends up tasting not even remotely similar to even the worst hams I've experienced. Not sure what they do during the process to completely remove all traces of it's hammy beginnings but whatever they do, it works. Anything even casually resembling ham in flavor is done away with.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, IowaDee said:

In his wonderful book, The Happy Isles of Oceania, author Paul Theroux says he was told

by natives that the reason Spam is so popular there  is because it is the nearest  in taste to 

human flesh. 

No wonder not many things are interested in eating us. ¬¬ :D

• Haha 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, IowaDee said:

human flesh.  Long memories of Long Meat as they called human "dinner guests."

Had to refresh my fading memory.  The natives called humans they planned

to eat. "Long Pigs".  I may have posted this before so feel free to take it down.

:o

Many years ago our company used to hold a Spam carving contest on St. Patrick's Day--if that holiday fell on a work day that is.  I can't even remember what started that tradition....we also were allowed to incorporate Vienna Sausages.  I remember one year the winning entry was an island made of Spam with Vienna Sausage palm trees......

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Spam  musubi. Typically spam is fried with a splash of teriyaki and served with soy sauce. 

Kind of like spam sushi roll. A nice golf snack

image.png.40dbe73eb1e8adae76bc2af0046a9ff1.png

My most favourite memory of Hawaii!

• Like 1

You can dice Spam and fry it with diced potatoes and make a reasonable hash alternative. We used to do that for camping breakfasts, as neither the potatoes nor the Spam required refrigeration. It's reasonably decent with plenty of black pepper and an over-easy egg on top.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com