• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam

annecros

So, Spam sales are through the roof. According to, of all authorities, Pork Magazine. It must be true.

Spam is pork with ham, which is like saying "beef with steak" - and as a hurricane veteran, I know Spam.

Spam and Eggs has to be my favorite recipe. Chunk up the Spam, brown it with some onion or pepper if available, and scramble the eggs into the mix at the end. Easy. Everybody eats, and are ready to chainsaw down that darn tree. Makes you feel like a Lumberjack.

What is your favorite Spamish creation?

Spam misubi!

Spam fritters

OK, come on guys and give up the recipes. They sound compelling.

Spam misubi is essentially a rectangle of spam fried up with teriyaki sauce then laid on a little box of sushi rice and tied/wrapped with toasted nori.

And if anyone is heading to Hawaii soon and wants to bring me back a mold for this, I'd be eternally in their debt!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Ugh....Spam on a 'gourmet' food forum!?

The best use for Spam is donating it to third world countries who need canned meat (?) that will last for ages.

Spam comes in very handily for people who must subsist for weeks without electricity. It is also a staple in areas (Hawaii, Japan) where livestock have no room to grow.

Canned tuna is cool, Deviled Ham is the bomb. Spam just adds a bit of variety to the mix.

Ya gotta eat.

Nothing wrong with donating to third world countries - I encourage it.

Spam misubi!

Spam fritters

OK, come on guys and give up the recipes. They sound compelling.

Spam misubi is essentially a rectangle of spam fried up with teriyaki sauce then laid on a little box of sushi rice and tied/wrapped with toasted nori.

And if anyone is heading to Hawaii soon and wants to bring me back a mold for this, I'd be eternally in their debt!

It's musubi (correct spelling in case any one wants to Google it). :smile:

Personally, I don't like to eat Spam in any way, shape, or form, but if you PM me with your address, I can send you a mold for cost + postage.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

What, exactly, is the mold like? And why do you need one? It actually sounds kinda nice per the description. Something I would eat. But, ya know, I eat hot dogs and sausages and stuff as well.

I suppose I should Google it - but darn - I have hands on people here.

I have been known to eat Vienna sausages from time to time... :biggrin:

My grandmother makes a salad all summer called, conveniently enough, Summer Salad. It has Spam, shell pasta, baked beans (rinsed of sauce), cheddar cheese, mayo, dill, and a whole host of veggies. I love it, but it's really the only way I've eaten Spam other than a kind of leftover camping hash (eggs, potatoes, onions, Spam and whatever meat or veggies were leftover from dinner the night before).

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Spam comes in very handily for people who must subsist for weeks without electricity. It is also a staple in areas (Hawaii, Japan) where livestock have no room to grow.

I wouldn't call Spam a staple in Japan. I've never been served it in a Japanese household, nor do I know anyone who eats it. Although I've certainly seen it for sale.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Ugh....Spam on a 'gourmet' food forum!?

The best use for Spam is donating it to third world countries who need canned meat (?) that will last for ages.

Canned tuna is cool, Deviled Ham is the bomb. Spam just adds a bit of variety to the mix.

Nothing wrong with donating to third world countries - I encourage it.

What's the difference between Spam and deviled ham? I've never had deviled ham, and the last time I ate spam was...20 yrs ago??? And is lunch meat just a Spam knock-off?

What, exactly, is the mold like? And why do you need one?  It actually sounds kinda nice per the description. Something I would eat. But, ya know, I eat hot dogs and sausages and stuff as well.

I suppose I should Google it - but darn - I have hands on people here.

I have been known to eat Vienna sausages from time to time... :biggrin:

Here you go. How to make Spam Musubi.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

In Hawaii where I grew up folks have many more ways to eat spam than just spam musubi. What immediately comes to mind is spam & cabage, spam pancit(Filipino-style noodles), spam shu mai, spam sandwiches with mayonaise (Best Foods of course), spam saimin, and fried spam, eggs and rice.

Spam is so popular that a while back the Spam company did a special run of Spam in a tin especially designed for Hawaii. I heard from my brother in Honolulu that sales were especially brisk at Costco stores where folks regularly buy Spam and other canned meats - vienna sausages, and canned corn beef - by the case.

These canned meat foods first became popular because they were cheap sources of fresh beef and pork which was expensive and not always available especially during WWII. Also, these processed meats are very saltyand distinctive tasting, so a little went a long way when aded to any recipe.

You can buy Spam cookbooks at Amazon which have Spam recipes from Hawaii. Ann Kondo Corum's two humorous Spam cookbooks, and Muriel Miura's Spam cookbook are available. Amazon also has a musubi mold for sale.

Spam as Spam is not that good...... BUT fried spam sliced thinly (0.5 cm) and it get's high amounts of the mallard reaction also the sugers also get caramelized it's great. (Slice to thick and it does not work)

Cool and then dip that spam into batter and fry and serve with HP sauce- it's a so good taste - even though it's bad for you.

Spam has it's place. And 90% of the time I can't stand it but sometimes SPAM ROCKS

(Could be a childhood thing - perhaps like the big mac taste for the USA)

Edited by ermintrude (log)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

growing up every once in a while my grandfather would decan a spam cross hatch the top, push in a few cloves and top with pineapple slices then heat in our toaster oven. that with some new potatoes and some green beans was dinner for us.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I do not like spam in a box.

I do not like spam with a fox.

I will not eat spam in a house.

I do not like spam with a mouse.

I do not like spam here or there.

I do not like spam anywhere.

I'm not the anti-spam, I just really don't like it. And I was faced with enough of it growing up to know for sure that it's not just in my head. Then there's that bit of spam jello surrounding the little spam critter ... :blink:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I must confess, I've never eaten spam (to my knowledge).

What are the most common ways to eat it in North America? Other than spam musubi, which I saw a lot of in Hawaii. Please school me on the ways of spam.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I must confess, I've never eaten spam (to my knowledge).

What are the most common ways to eat it in North America? Other than spam musubi, which I saw a lot of in Hawaii. Please school me on the ways of spam.

My mom usually just sliced it and pan fried it. Even as a kid, I didn't like it. And I had the "this is what we're having and this is what you will eat" parents, not the "oh, well let me run right in there and cook you something else" parents. Fortunately, enough mustard can make anything edible.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

In spite of my love of spam musubi - I didn't care for spam growing up either. Mom used to make some sort of hash with it - not my favorite dish - too salty.

The only time I ever made it I was in a rental house with no real stove, so the plan was to grill/cook everything on the charcoal BBQ outside. I sliced it about 1/2 inch thick, squeezed orange over it and grilled till crispy. Nobody had a clue to what it was but they snarfed it up for breakfast with sweet rolls.

I keep saying I'm going to pick up a can of Spam for me and the girls (my wife's anti-pork), but I haven't eaten it since Boy Scouts, where we'd keep cans of it in the patrol supply box for emergency breakfast meat.

Strangest way we ate it -- alternated cubes of Spam and marshmallows on a skewer and toasted over the fire. What can I say -- you get bored standing around the campfire sometimes. We also used to boil hotdogs in orange Tang.

Boys will be boys...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

On one memorable occasion with my uncle we made a fire out of dried up cow pies and then put Spam on some sticks and roasted it over said fire. It gave it quite an interesting taste if I remember correctly.

I wish I was joking.