• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jamie's Italian Coming to London

Canary Wharf mall gets first London Jamie's Italian

Jamie Oliver is to open his next branch of Jamie's Italian in London's Canary Wharf, it was announced today.

The first London branch of Oliver's first independent venture will open at Churchill Place Mall next autumn alongside branches of Roka, Canteen and Rocket.

Camille Waxer, vice president of retail at Canary Wharf Group said: “In the next 18 months or so we have KPMG, Fitch Ratings and State Street all opening new office buildings nearby. The continued growth in the number of Canary Wharf visitors and workers requires the quality, quantity and variety of dining options to keep pace.

“We have been very impressed by the success of Jamie’s Italian in Oxford and Bath. It will inspire more food lovers to visit Canary Wharf and offer our existing customer base an exciting new option.”

The first Jamie’s Italian, - described as an "authentic affordable Italian restaurant" - opened in Oxford in June with Bath and Kingston rapidly following. Restaurants are also slated to open in Brighton, Cambridge and Cardiff.

Food Snob

foodsnob@hotmail.co.uk

Excited??

Nope, sorreeee!

Not since I had a rather unfortunate incident at Montes where he was Exec Chef (estranged) where the lighting was so dim I mistook rock salt for cous cous...

H

lol. I am imagining it now...

However, surely that was your fault and not Jamie's :P

Food Snob

foodsnob@hotmail.co.uk

Can't wait!!! Whats the big deal abount J.O opening yet another restaurant??? I'm I missing something here?

I was being sarcastic

no one got it

We have a Jamie's Italian in Bath and it is actually quite good in terms of reasonable food at a modest price.

We went in it's first week and there were some glitches (over salted pasta and charred sausage) but on the whole the food was quite enjoyable. I am keen to go back to see how it has settled down. It is the sort of restaurant that is useful for a quick meal without compromising on too much on quality. Although some dishes are toned down for the 'great british public" i.e. Bresaola rather than raw beef in the Carpaccio salad.

It is good to have it as an option after Fridays beers it makes a change from my local Indian and definitely a positive development and a real step up from what is already on the high street.

I don't get it, its had pretty good reviews so why be sarcastic, equally clearly its not the cause of genuine excitement. The only pity is, that I can think of countless cities in the UK that would probably benefit from this opening, but London isn't one of them.

Edited by Iestyn (log)