• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Thanksgiving Bread Basket

Abra

Well, I've got to say that if you're thinking of making the Buttery Pan Rolls that I linked to above, you definitely should. But if you're thinking of making them ahead, forget it. I made them the afternoon before, covered them tight, reheated them for dinner. Awful. They were 80% thrown away after dinner, whereas a batch fresh out of the oven is normally devoured instantly.

That kind of fluffy white bread is made to be eaten fresh, in my opinion. If I ever again can't make the rolls fresh, I'll do without. That was a big disappointment, although the rest of the dinner was great. You can read about it here if you're interested.

Here are the fluffy dinner rolls from Cook's Country.  You can make them ahead and freeze them.  I just made them this morning.  I ran out of time this week.

gallery_25969_665_106948.jpg

Randi, I just wanted to let you know that I was so impressed with your rolls that I made a batch of my own and they came out great. Thanks!

These are my mom's butter horn rolls and are the thing most of our family looks forward to every year. They are a little sweet, very buttery, and soft. We usually do a batch-and-a-half which is 108 rolls (if they're rolled and cut evenly, which we're not really great at). This year we had dinner on one side on Thursday, and there were only about 10 rolls left over, so we had to make a batch again Friday morning for dinner that afternoon.

Like Abra said above, these are MUCH better fresh, but they do ok leftover - not that we have a lot of experience with leftovers. :raz:

gallery_39192_6326_180904.jpg

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini