• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Olive Oil Crisps/ Torta de Aceite

The base is very lightly sweet, but then they sell both a sweet and savory version which basically means sugar sprinkles or not.

For some reason, I keep thinking these would be great with a light sprinkling of coarse salt. I may have to try these this afternoon!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I like the idea of anise extract instead of spending money on a liquor that I won't use. And Marlene, I think course salt will be too much. Their strength is in how delicate they are in texture and flavor. The sugar works because its not so shocking to the mouth. I also think it would be fun to try different oils to see what impact that has (grassy, fruity, peppery, etc).

Edited by gfron1 (log)

You're probably right, it just stuck in my head for some reason. What about an almond extract for those who don't like the licorice taste?

Marlene

Did anyone figure out what the blackened lemon zest-flavoured oil adds to this recipe? No lemons in the house. :shock:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

For what its worth, the Matiz brand tortas show an ingredient list of: Wheat flour, Virgin olive oil (24%), sugar, sesame seeds, aniseed, essence of anise, salt and yeast for the SWEET version. The savory doesn't have the sugar, aniseed or essence.

For what its worth, the Matiz brand tortas show an ingredient list of: Wheat flour, Virgin olive oil (24%), sugar, sesame seeds, aniseed, essence of anise, salt and yeast for the SWEET version.  The savory doesn't have the sugar, aniseed or essence.

Hmmm doesn't sound as if the lemon zest is an essential ingredient. Thank you.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Maybe it's just me, but 70 g of flour is a lot. I've got this mixing right now and there is now way this is coming together in a soft oily ball.

Marlene

Well I made them and they look like the photo in the recipe but 3 out of 3 people gave them thumbs down. :huh:

I am guessing this is either some sort of failure on my part or a matter of taste!

They are rather dry crackers with a hint of anise. I guess I will have to try to find the commercial ones and see if I am any more impressed with those.

They came together quite readily in the food processor.

Edited to replace inappropriate smilie.

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

Well I made them and they look like the photo in the recipe but 3 out of 3 people gave them thumbs down. :huh:

I am guessing this is either some sort of failure on my part or a matter of taste! 

They are rather dry crackers with a hint of anise.  I guess I will have to try to find the commercial ones and see if I am any more impressed with those.

They came together quite readily in the food processor.

Edited to replace inappropriate smilie.

Ha. Well since you didn't much care for them, I doubt if I'll try to reprise this! Too bad, they sounded good!

Marlene

Okay - those sucked! I saved mine, however, by brushing them with extra ginger syrup I had laying around after baking, before broiling. These are nothing like the packaged ones which are much more refined and delicate and tasty. So back to my original question it looks like...anyone have a good recipe?

Okay - those sucked!  I saved mine, however, by brushing them with extra ginger syrup I had laying around after baking, before broiling.  These are nothing like the packaged ones which are much more refined and delicate and tasty.  So back to my original question it looks like...anyone have a good recipe?

WHEW! I feel so much better now. I know I followed the recipe to a T (except for the lemon!) so being so disappointed seemed wrong! Must find the "real" thing to see what I am aiming for!

My 2004 eG Blog

On my walk home from the cafè tonight I had a couple of ideas. First, this could be an issue of what type of flour. I used an AP that has 10.5% protein. Its my daily sourdough flour. My other thought was that the lack of refine-ness could be fixed by rolling out thinner, then folding over - creating layers. The recipe that we all agree sucks has a similar % of oil as my Matiz does, so that's not necessarily the issue. I'd like to try this with my cake flour next.