• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

For an Evening Tea - what would you suggest?

jsmeeker

Ummm... Lipton Iced Tea from the cafeteria in the office??

:hmmm:

Seriously, though, I'd like for the people to suggest a tea for me. I'll ask the same question at Cultured Cup this Saturday, but I'd like to see what you guys recommend.

What would be a good "evening" tea? You know, something to enjoy after a long day at work. Lots of times, I like to whip up a cocktail right when I get home. But on nights I don't do that, I am thinking maybe a nice cup of tea later in the evening, after I've had dinner and what not and am relaxing, might be a nice soothing way to end the day.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

It partly depends upon how much caffeine effects you. I often drink Chinese and Japanese green and white teas in the evening and an herbal in the hour or so before bed. The greens and whites are low caffeine and the herbals are non-caff unless you get one that is blended with tea.

A few more specific ideas:

Sencha

Silver Dragon

White Peony

Chamomille

I can have a small amount and be OK, I think.

Thanks for the suggestions. As stated elsewhere, pretty much my only experience (and even this is very, very limited) with hot tea is black, save a very, very occasional cup of green tea that may be served to me in some Asian restaurant.

Thanks for the suggestions.  As stated elsewhere, pretty much my only experience (and even this is very, very limited) with hot tea is black, save a very, very occasional cup of green tea that may be served to me in some Asian restaurant.

Black teas have about 50% the amount of caff that coffee does, so you could try any black tea you like and try it in the evening. If I were doing a black in the evening, it would probably be a quality Indian Darjeeling or Nilgiri, or a Chinese red tea - a Dian Hong. The Cultured Cup carries such, as do a number of web vendors such as Tea Source for the blacks and Norbu for the red. (There are more sources in the relevant topic here in the forum.)

Black teas have about 50% the amount of caff that coffee does, so you could try any black tea you like and try it in the evening.

That isn't necessarily true.

From Silk Road Tea:

> drip coffee                  60-90mg

> black tea                    25-110mg         

> semi-green/oolong tea  12-55mg         

> white tea                    8-16mg

> green tea*                  8-16mg

The range of caffeine in black tea is much greater than in coffee, so you could actually have more caffeine in a cup of tea than you would in coffee, but you could also have much less.

Either way, you'll never know how it affects you until you try. If experimenting with black teas in the evening, I'd start on weekends when it's not as important to get up early the next day.

Thanks for the suggestions.  As stated elsewhere, pretty much my only experience (and even this is very, very limited) with hot tea is black, save a very, very occasional cup of green tea that may be served to me in some Asian restaurant.

Black teas have about 50% the amount of caff that coffee does, so you could try any black tea you like and try it in the evening. If I were doing a black in the evening, it would probably be a quality Indian Darjeeling or Nilgiri, or a Chinese red tea - a Dian Hong. The Cultured Cup carries such, as do a number of web vendors such as Tea Source for the blacks and Norbu for the red. (There are more sources in the relevant topic here in the forum.)

I've been having some of my English Breakfast the past few nights. Gotta use my new pot! I'll certainly see what the CC people say.

Black teas have about 50% the amount of caff that coffee does, so you could try any black tea you like and try it in the evening.

That isn't necessarily true.

From Silk Road Tea:

> drip coffee                   60-90mg

> black tea                     25-110mg         

> semi-green/oolong tea   12-55mg          

> white tea                    8-16mg

> green tea*                   8-16mg

The range of caffeine in black tea is much greater than in coffee, so you could actually have more caffeine in a cup of tea than you would in coffee, but you could also have much less.

Either way, you'll never know how it affects you until you try. If experimenting with black teas in the evening, I'd start on weekends when it's not as important to get up early the next day.

Caffeine in tea is even more complicated than that. Caffeine level depends not only on characteristics of the leaf and how it is processed, but also on the leaf:water ratio and brew time. I understand that tea professionals are currently taught in certification classes not to make claims for different categories of tea due to this complexity and simply assume about 50% on average. Thus my short answer.

My favorite evening tea is a jasmine oolong.

Ordinarily I am not a huge fan of "perfumed" teas but the jasmines are different.

Jasmine Oolong from TeaVana

I often serve it to guests and have found there is little problem with caffeine.

For me it doesn't matter as I am one of the fortunate few who can drink loads of caffeine and go right to sleep.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hello- I usually drink a green tea in the evening. Recently, it has been Dragon Well. But, I too like Sencha at night. :cool:

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)