• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish knives

Does anyone have any brand recommendations for a fish knife set thing with some form of sharpener? Or just a filleting knife and sharpening set? Cheers.

If I am your princess, then where is my crown?

• 2 weeks later...

I have found over the years that many filleting knives are a little too 'bendy' for me. I do think this is a personal thing and therfore it is best that you go and feel a few for yourself. i would start with gustav or wustof, they retain their edge well and will last you a lifetime. The best filleting knife I have is the cheapest one I ever bought and must be 17 years old now. It was from Russums in Rotherham and is 'Smithfield' which is a Sheffield brand, although I have used them scince and they have horrible plastic handles and the steel seems diffrent.

As I have said it is very personal, any good knife stockist should let you get a feel for them in the shop and cut something.

As for sharpening, a good diamond steel, preferably the same make as the knife is recommended.