• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kaffa Crossing

Andrew Fenton

I'd been driving by Kaffa Crossing for ages without knowing it was even there- it's a narrow storefront on a not-especially-inviting block of Chestnut on the border of University City, and is easy to miss. But lately it's been getting some favorable press (including two bells from LaBan), and tonight I stopped by.

It's a coffee house, mostly: when I was there, the tables were occupied by earnest-looking West Philadelphia types tapping away on their laptops. They've been around for a few years, but have recently (or relatively recently) started serving very good Ethiopian food as well: what more could you ask for?

I picked up some food (and a pound of coffee) to go, starting kik aletcha (yellow split peas). One of my favorite Ethiopian dishes, this was the only (mild) disappointment: when I've had it before, it has been chunky, with discrete peas. This is pureed, and while it's tasty, mild pureed peas are a little too... baby food-esque for me to eat too much at once. Fortunately, the other dishes were excellent: a rich okra stew and buttery beef tibs.

This is the best Ethiopian food I've had in Philadelphia, and I'm looking forward to going back and trying more dishes. That's a proposition made even more tasty by the prices: three entrees set me back only $25. Can't beat that.

Kaffa Crossing is at 4423 Chestnut. They also have a website.