• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vieux Carre Gourmet

Becca Porter

I am not sure how many of you frequent Northeast Louisiana, but if you pass through Monroe, you should check out this new gourmet shop/bistro. Vieux Carre

It provides me with quite a few items I haven't been able to get around here. They have a nice olive bar, specialty cheeses, hard to find pantry items, produce, good dairy, lunch meats, as well as beautiful fresh fish and steaks.

I have had lunch there a few times. The muffaletta hit the spot. They even have a pastry chef.

Today I called and I got to talk to the chef. He is able to order me some fresh cream (not ultra-pasteurized) and a specific type of ham for Thanksgiving. They also have free range turkeys available.

They seem like nice people. It seems to be getting better and better. (By the way, John Folse's Bittersweet Plantation Creamery yogurt in Black and Blue is outstanding.)

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com