• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Roast Chicken in Paris

weinoo

We'll be spending Thanksgiving in Paris, and in lieu of the big bird, I was wondering where one might find the best roast chicken in Paris...preferably under the price of L'Ami Louis :smile: .

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

So far, my favorite Bresse chicken has been at Georges Blanc, but Ambroise was a close second. For much less $$$, if you get to Balzar early, for lunch or dinner, the Poulet Roti/Frites can be superb. But...they have been known to reheat certain dishes, and the Poulet Roti is one. May be worth a shot.

We'll be spending Thanksgiving in Paris, and in lieu of the big bird, I was wondering where one might find the best roast chicken in Paris...preferably under the price of L'Ami Louis  :smile: .

Sorry Mitch, I'll get my dinde from my rotisserie guy M. Mathieu and (even without Colette) I'll manage (with a little help from my friends) to do the dressing/stuffing, cranberry, etc. stuff chez moi.

But Docsconz roasted some pretty impressive Bresse chickens a few years ago so I'd second OAKGLEN's notion.

Thursday will be a normal day here so maybe if you want some flying gamey stuff you'd best try Gérard Besson. 5, rue du Coq-Héron Paris, France 75001. Phone: 01 42 33 14 74. Fax: 01 42 33 85 71

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I agree with George Blanc as my favorite chicken...

La Tour D'argent has a bistro right next to it (same owners, same suppliers-I would think).

It's called Rotisserie Beaujolais. A bit touristy, and you need a reservation, but we like it. The chicken and duck are very good. Stay with the basics like that, they handle that more than when they try to be too creative.

Philly Francophiles

• 3 years later...

Trying to bump this up, as I'm off to Paris in 6 weeks (and an avowed chicken-o-phile).

I've searched and found multiple mentions, but most of them old.

What does the board think of Chez L'Ami Louis these days?

Overpriced and touristy? Or worth it?

Atelier Maitre L'Albert?

Allard?

Astrance?

Le Coq Rico?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

Of the houses you list, L'Ami Louis is probably the best, a whole bird served for 2 which makes it less pricey than it seems. However, on other boards and blogs, the consensus seems to be that few restaurants really do a great roast chicken, and that a simple rotisserie chicken, ordered not too well done as is often the case, may be a good substitute. This latter works if you have an apartment or want to put together a superb and sensual picnic. Enjoy!

eGullet member #80.