• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

assembling bavarian cake

devlin

The base cake is a genoise, filled with a bavarian. What's the best method for assembling? It seemed to me that to put the just-finished bavarian onto a genoise and then refrigerate would risk turning the top top of the genoise into mush.... Yes? No?

The base cake is a genoise, filled with a bavarian. What's the best method for assembling? It seemed to me that to put the just-finished bavarian onto a genoise and then refrigerate would risk turning the top top of the genoise into mush.... Yes? No?

Isn't the genoise moistened with some sort of flavored syrup in Bavarians?

Isn't the genoise moistened with some sort of flavored syrup in Bavarians?

Often, yes, but not always necessary depending on the recipe you use.

All the instructions I've seen for bavarois are to pour into the mold while fluid, and immediately top with or sink in the genoise layer. Genoise is actually quite durable so I don't see this as an issue, nor have I experienced soggy tops, at least to the extent that it bothered me. I'll let the experts confirm.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I'll be using a soaking syrup as well, but it seemed to me it might be a big difference between brushing on a soaking syrup and pouring on a bavarian cream to let set.

I'm thinking the other option would be to mold the bavarian into a cake pan or springform, same size as the cake layers, lined with plastic wrap, and then once set, flip over onto the genoise.

Edited by devlin (log)

I'll be using a soaking syrup as well, but it seemed to me it might be a big difference between brushing on a soaking syrup and pouring on a bavarian cream to let set.

It's usually the other way, pour bavarois into mold, top with cake and set. Repeat as necessary.

I still don't think that sogginess is a major issue, unless you have an unusual genoise recipe.

It's usually the other way, pour bavarois into mold, top with cake and set. Repeat as necessary.

I still don't think that sogginess is a major issue, unless you have an unusual genoise recipe.

But this is a layer cake with a bavarian center layer.

But this is a layer cake with a bavarian center layer.

I'd do the same process. Fill mold with cake layer, pour in bavarois, top with cake. Freeze (or refrigerate) to set.

Anyway, I'll let others chime in, but I think you'll be fine with the above.

I have done this a number of times and never had any trouble with the texture of the Genoise: the Bavarian is quite well-bound and does not give up its moisture so easily, and genoise does not seem to have a strong tendency to wick moisture out due to its crumb structure. I also typically give the genoise layers a good brush with syrup, which helps to saturate it and prevent it from wanting to pick up any more moisture.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org