• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chopping a lot of leafy veggies

UnConundrum

We make our own dog food for three large dogs. The recipe calls for leafy veggies and fruit to be chopped up into the food. Some local green grocers give us boxes of trimmings (outer leaves from escarole, chard, celery, parsley, you name it) packed full for free. We usually process two full boxes at a time. I tried putting the leaves through a pretty substantial meat grinder, but the veggies don't seem to do well, and the grinder constantly jams. I have a Cuisinart DLC X in which I've tried the knife blade, but it seems to take forever to go through the two boxes.... Does anyone have another suggestion to reduce fibrous leafy veggies to a pulp? Would a buffalo chopper be good for this? Anything else?

Try freezing the greens. Even the most fibrous stems become soft after a freeze/thaw cycle. This is how I process garden greens to feed to my poultry.

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

This will take a little effort, and some storage space, but will be quite effective at breaking down just about any vegetative matter:

Basically, install a garburator in a free-standing sink cabinet or stand, which is not plumbed, but drains into a collection vessel/bucket. Connect a power cord and switch to the garburator, installing on the stand. Turn on garburator, add veggies. Remember to put the bucket underneath.

Karen Dar Woon