• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salty, Crunchy, Home-made Snacks

Chris Amirault

Soon fresh rhubarb will be available.

Dip in salt - take a bite - dip again and bite - repeat ...

If you have just cooked something in a non-stick skillet, wipe pan clean with a paper towel, return to heat and sprinkle a little shredded full fat cheddar cheese into pan and sprinkle on a little kosher salt.  As soon as the cheese begins to bubble and toast, turn off the heat and go enjoy the dinner you just cooked.  Later, lift the cheese lace from the pan and break into pieced to munch for an evening snack.

• 5 years later...

I am a big fan of the unskinned raw peanuts from usually Korean market - bulk bin. So good just roasted. With a really dark roast they are sweet and nuanced - no salt needed. I do like them also as @KennethT noted amped up. I really need time in the African countries that use peanuts so well.  My evening snack if still hungry is dry roasted peanuts mixed with some chocolate chips. There are marshmallows in the pantry but I hesitate to mess with perfection. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I am a big fan of the unskinned raw peanuts from usually Korean market - bulk bin. So good just roasted. With a really dark roast they are sweet and nuanced - no salt needed. I do like them also as @KennethT noted amped up. I really need time in the African countries that use peanuts so well.  My evening snack if still hungry is dry roasted peanuts mixed with some chocolate chips. There are marshmallows in the pantry but I hesitate to mess with perfection. 

These peanuts came from the Indian store - raw, direct from India... they're really good - I fried them (aka roasted haha) in peanut oil that was flavored with the garlic, chili and kaffir lime.

• Like 2