• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Celery, celery, lots of celery...what to do?

Richard Kilgore

chop it up with some onions and marinate for a couple of days in good Italian dressing, add carrots if you like.

and olives. yum.

also, mix blue cheese with cream cheese and stuff em. I could live on that.

---------------------------------------

I don't care for celery, but I love braised celery! It's important to "destring" the celery first, then cut into your preferred size pieces and poach in a shallow pan of chicken stock. Serve warm, or chilled with a vinaigrette.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

• 7 years later...

Bump.

We have a surfeit of celery sticks, left over from a party. Any new ideas of things to do with it? I'm not a fan of eating raw celery in large quantities, although a little is fine in something like a waldorf salad or chicken salad or other varieties of the salads I think of as the types you might serve in a crunchy shell to a ladies' luncheon. Alas, mid-November is not really salady-type weather in upstate NY, and I'm a different sort of lady who lunches.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

You could make stock, then freeze the stock. Dice it then roast and freeze for later use.

We're about a week away from Thanksgiving. It should last fresh until then. Thanksgiving ideas: stuffing, mirepoix for gravy, braised celery side dish, salad, stock for soup, and save some for make casseroles with leftovers.

• Like 1

Crafts: one  two

Science: one

Automotive engineering: one

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

You could make Gabrielle Hamilton's Celery Toasts from the NYT. 

Celery soup. 

Braised celery. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd like to try Dan Kluger’s recipe for Celery Salad with Pear, Feta, Olives and Jalapeño that appeared recently in the WSJ. 

A few celery soup recipes that I like from the times when my CSA was bombarding me with celery the size of a baseball bat!

Creamy Celery Soup - Most of the celery gets cooked with onion, leeks and garlic before being puréed.  A smaller amount gets braised gently in butter and added at the end and adds a nice bit of textural contrast.  "Creamy" is in the name, but the recipe uses 4 cups of chicken stock and 1/4 cup of cream so it's not a heavy soup.

Celery Soup with Cashel Blue Cheese from Delia Smith's Christmas is very yummy.  I've made it with a variety of different blue cheeses

I was drawn to this Celery and Pear Bisque in part by its use of dark green leek tops which I always hated to discard when they were lovely and fresh.  Like the first recipe, I like the contrast of the smooth soup and the garnish, in this case, finely chopped fresh pear.

And I second @Anna N's suggestion of Gabrielle Hamilton's celery toasts.  I've made them several times. 

• Like 2