• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Uncooked Poultry

Seafood and red meat are often eaten raw. There's a long list of recipes for uncooked dishes: sashimi, ceviche, tartar, yuk hoe, carne cruda, poisson cru, nam mu sod, oysters on the half shell, etc.

But where are the birds?

The only example I can think of is uncooked, but cured, duck or goose breast.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Chicken tartare! If it's good enough for Doc John the Night Tripper and Ozzy, then who am I to argue?

But, more to the point......

I'd heard, ages ago, about marinated chicken feet in Kwangju in Korea.....but recent inquiries have turned up nothing.

Also, in this category, a favourite beer snack in Laos (at least back in the early 90s) was fresh chicken blood. One fellow I met complained that you had to pay for the whole bird's blood, when all you wanted was a small tot. I felt it was probably a good idea not to have it sitting behind the counter for too many days.

I'm cautioned about chickens, based on the argument that salmonella won't kill you, but you'll wish it did.

To be more specific, though, it's not the salmonella that'll do you, it's the "product" of the salmonella bacteria.

I asked her if you could wash it well enough to get rid of the salmonella excrement.

She said that, if it's infected with salmonella, you really need to cook it to neutralize the toxin in the excrement.

I asked her how you can tell if a chicken has salmonella working in its intestinal tract.

She said, "you can't".

If you're using industrial chickens, then the baths they put the birds through pretty much ensure that this little gift of nature gets spread about equitably.

Alternatively, if you raise and slaughter your own chickens, you'll probably be okay!

Genus salmonella - when you aren't already in a fowl mood.

Edited by Peter Green (log)

. . . . a favourite beer snack in Laos (at least back in the early 90s) was fresh chicken blood.
That doesn't sound very good.

Moe Sizlack

I've read that you can get chicken sashimi in Japan.

eGullet member Torakris has been to a chicken sashimi restaurant, and she posted pictures here. I'd be very interested in trying it out myself.

I haven't actually eaten raw chicken here in the U.S., but I'm not as squeamish about it as many people seem to be. And of course I like my duck breast to be cooked rare to medium rare, and my foie gras to be seared rare as well.

A friend was teaching herself to cook - making chicken salad. The recipe assumed that you'd know to use cooked chicken - she didn't. Family - to be polite and not discourage her from cooking - ate it!

Husband and son hospitalized with salmonella.

I have eaten raw chicken on a few occasions.. Its been awhile since I had food poisoning so, the horrors of it all are not so fresh.. In Manhattan the two places I have eaten it are Tori-Shin and Yakitorri Totto.. Both pleasant experience but, nowhere near the wonderfulness of raw beef, venison, or fish. .

My mind is boggling over this thread. Many years ago I saw a short film of a chicken processing plant and I'll never get the vision out of my head.

The baths . . . the horror . . .

Do not eat raw chicken unless you've known that chicken personally and caused her death.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I'm not one to judge other culture's cuisine. I'm not the kind of person that reacts with a huge "EW!!" to stuff that's out of my personal norm.

I do have to say, honestly, that I literally flinched, and my insides folded up on themselves, upon reading the title of this post. Cheers, because it takes a lot to get that reaction from me.

I do have to say, honestly, that I literally flinched, and my insides folded up on themselves, upon reading the title of this post.  Cheers, because it takes a lot to get that reaction from me.

Lilija, I'm glad it struck a chord with you. Read, chew, discuss, right? Well maybe not chew in this case.

I can take anything a good sashimi chef can throw at me, and a blue Beefeater steak brings out my inner vampire, but raw chicken in my mouth just doesn't cut it. I wonder why that is.

Moe Sizlack

I don't know about you, but for me, the first thing that popped into my mind would be the scent. I abhor the scent of raw chicken. When I was pregnant, I couldn't even prepare it, I was so sensitive about it. Maybe that's why I feel that way. Texture is a close second.

I'm not one to judge other culture's cuisine.  I'm not the kind of person that reacts with a huge "EW!!" to stuff that's out of my personal norm.

I do have to say, honestly, that I literally flinched, and my insides folded up on themselves, upon reading the title of this post.  Cheers, because it takes a lot to get that reaction from me.

I totally agree.

Btw, did you ever see that episode of Wife Swap( a couple years ago) where the entire family ate raw( including raw chicken). I was naseuous just watching the show.

I do not like raw chicken at all it is horrible to me it smells/tastes no matter how clean it is ...like...well raw chicken

but a pepper crusted duck breast seared sashimi style (crispy outside raw cold middle HELLO :smile:

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

YAKITORI TOTTO in NYC actually serves up Chicken sushimi.... if anyone wants to go try it..

Yakitori Totto

251 W. 55th St., 2nd fl, New York, NY 10019

nr. Broadway

212-245-4555

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

What does chicken sashimi taste like?  Is it just like how you'd expect raw chicken to taste?

Not to sure... i'd eat rare to raw pork... but chicken... I mean seriously you know how industrial chickens are grown... unless i knew exactly where it was coming from, and i knew that the bird was culled hours ago, and killed of all germs, would probably be the only way i'd eat raw chicken...

Edited by SeanDirty (log)

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

What does chicken sashimi taste like?  Is it just like how you'd expect raw chicken to taste?

to me the answer is

YES it tasted EXACTLY the way I thought raw chicken would taste

I tried but it was not for me at all

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

You know, just when I think I know or have the capacity to learn anything cooking wise that I'd ever want to know - there's a thread that surprises me. It doesn't usually make me cause my stomach to reverberate in a lurching manner however, but still genuine surprise.