• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going to Japan...

jkim

For about 2 weeks, I will be going to japan in early February.

What are the *must eat* and *must see* attractions of Japan?

Of course I do have budgetary constraints, so I will most likely avoid expensive avantgard cuisine.

My current plan is to stay in Tokyo for 5 of those days (1 day upon arrival at narita, 1 day upon departure from narita, and another 3 days on either side - 2 of which will be spent at disneyland). I have no other plan than this vague plan...

I won't be moving off the main island, but do hope to visit various cities, so suggestions from various places on the main island are welcome.

Also, I don't speak Japanese... at all. How much of a problem will this be?

A couple questions to help you narrow down your quest.

Will you be traveling with children? (you did mention 2 days at Disneyland..)

Do you know what area of Tokyo you will be in?

Will you be able to do things on your arrival/departure date? You can expect it to take at least 3 hours from touching down until you arrive at your hotel. So if you arrive on a late afternoon flight you may want to stick close to your hotel.

Are there any foods you can't eat?

Any foods you have always wanted to try?

What is the most you would want to spend on a meal?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

It will be sort of a late honeymoon - no kids, just me and the wife.

I have no idea what area of Tokyo I will be in, or what area of Japan (other than Tokyo) are must visit places. I have heard that Osaka and Kyoto are the not to miss cities other than Tokyo. I just bought air tickets and didn't think about anything else in my impulsive decision.

On my arrival and departure dates I will not be able to do much other than eat dinner and sleep (29 jan 6:30pm arrival, 16 feb 8am? departure). I am thinking of staying near Azabu east? upon arrival (i saw a decent 3 night accom package so am considering it; if it is a good place to stay.

I can eat anything bar bugs... and indian food.

I have eaten Japanese quite a lot in Australian Japanese restaurants. I'm not sure what else exists apart from what they sell here and in Korea. I have tried everything there was to offer. I'm quite adventurous.

The most I would spend on a single meal may be about man en per head - and that will only be 2 dinners throughout the entire trip. The rest of the time, I intend on dining at cheaper establishments such as those seen on TV - i.e. sushi trolley carts and such.

• 3 weeks later...

jkim,

Here is my idea of a perfect day in Tokyo -

Start early with a breakfast of the freshest and finest sashimi and sushi at the Tsukiji Fish Markets. Lot's of restaurants around the markets. Don't be afraid to start the day with a beer - just as many of the locals do!

Head for Harajuku and spend some time at the Meiji shrine before stopping for a quick (but oh-so-good) bowl of ramen at nearby Kyushu Jangara Ramen ( http://www.kyusyujangara.co.jp/shops/harajuku.htm ). I always order the Bonshan and add plenty of spicy "takana" (a specialty of the Kyushu area) - Takana and a whole slew of condiments will be on the table in front of you. If you also order a beer (as I always do) you'll get a small plate of porky bits to go with it - a perfect way to pass time before the main attraction.

Walk up the road a little to the Omotesando Hills complex, and spend a little time relaxing at Bisty's ( http://www.bistys.jp/ ) with a glass or two of wine. I enjoyed a glass of the 1999 Penfolds Grange, and the 2004 d'Yquem on my last visit - both absolutely superb!

By now Harajuku should be teaming with life - hit Takeshita Dori for an interesting cultural experience and enjoy a crepe from one the street side hole-in-the-wall vendors - these are immensely popular with the teens, and will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth.

Shibuya and Shinjuku lie on either side (all on the Yamanote Line). Check out the famous Shibuya crossing first. Then, head back to Shinjuku and spend some time in the food sections of the Isetan and Takashimaya Department Stores. You might also want to take a stroll through the red-light district of Kabukicho as day becomes dusk and the neon starts to flicker and glow. Don't be tempted to try a hostess bar however - you'll be robbed blind!

Have a light evening snack at the New York Grill Bar. It ain't Japanese, but the views of Tokyo are amazing. The adjoining restaurant ( http://www.newyorkgrill.com/ ) is good but expensive and not really worth the money unless you're on an expense account. Leave before 8pm, when a cover charge kicks in and a live Jazz band provides some entertainment. This will all seem familiar if you've seen "Lost in Translation".

For dinner, check out an Izakaya. By this time of the day, the salary men will be piling in and it makes for a great ambiance. They are everywhere (Izakayas and salary men :biggrin: ). The food is delivered in small enough portions that you end up tasting a huge variety of dishes, and it's all washed down with copious amounts of beer (or sake). All the dishes are pictured on the menu so it's just a case of point and eat, as it is in most places. (Some recent suggestions at http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2008/feb/....food?page=all ).

If you want to get out of Tokyo for the day, an easy and enjoyable option is a trip to Hakone, if only for the amazing views of Mount Fuji and to eat the black eggs cooked in the hot, steaming sulfur springs.

Start early (when you have a greater chance of some great views of Fuji), taking the Romance Car (Odakyu Line from Shinjuku).

Advice: Try and secure front row seats on the LSE or HiSE or VSE Romance Cars (the EXE and MSE do not have the amazing panorama windows up front). You may need to book ahead to get these, so it pays to plan ahead. The Odakyu line has a visitors center at Shinjuku Station, so English is OK.

Lots more info on Hakone and Odakyu at - http://www.odakyu.jp/english/index.html

Hakone Homepage - http://www.hakone.or.jp/english/

Have a great time. There is so much to see in Tokyo that whatever you decide to do, or wherever you decide to eat, you really can't go wrong! Some of my best dining experiences have been in tiny, greasy joints that would be closed down within seconds by any conscientious health inspector back home in Australia :laugh:

Edited - Formating and last minute thoughts

Edited by I8U8 (log)

Regards,

Peter

I really enjoyed my visits to Beer Club Popeye at Ryogoku. Mind you, you should have an interest in Japanese micro-brews if you're going to do this.

If you make it for their happy hour, which I think runs to 7 or so, they would toss in a free dish with each beer ordered. You can easily go through a dozen small plate items this way.

And around the corner, by the train station, there's a slew of great, inexpensive places to eat. We did yakitori, and even for me, that was a lot of food that evening. The link to the writeup is here.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks for the suggestions guys. That was great! Now I can't wait until Jan / Feb to try them out!

Since I'll be in Japan for (minimum 1 week, maximum 18 days), I can try all the suggestions here + many more!

Edited by jkim (log)