• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keeping things simple

Dave Hatfield

egg noodles w/ cottage cheese( small curd) and a Tbls of sour cream.  A little salt and lots of fresh cracked pepper.  I think this is a Jewish thing as I've never seen anybody other than Jews eat it.

My mom made this for me all the time when I was younger. Lots of cottage cheese mixed with buttered noodles and salt. Sometimes sour cream and poppy seeds are added. I thought it was a Hungarian thing. It is my go to comfort food when I am sick or hungover. My partner can't stand the sight of it. She thinks it's gross. Thanks for sharing. Nice to know I'm not alone.

You know whats really good... Now alot of people complain of whitecastle burgers being soggy and gross.... But if you buy fresh whitecastle burgers, pop them in the freezer and microwave them at a later time, the microwave actually drys out the bread to a normal consistancy... and it becomes a real burger!! and a pretty decent one at that...

But my ultimate easy comfort food would be Grilled cheese with ham and tomato! mmmmmmm im drooling already.

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

• 2 months later...
egg noodles w/ cottage cheese( small curd) and a Tbls of sour cream.  A little salt and lots of fresh cracked pepper.  I think this is a Jewish thing as I've never seen anybody other than Jews eat it.

My mom made this for me all the time when I was younger. Lots of cottage cheese mixed with buttered noodles and salt. Sometimes sour cream and poppy seeds are added. I thought it was a Hungarian thing. It is my go to comfort food when I am sick or hungover. My partner can't stand the sight of it. She thinks it's gross. Thanks for sharing. Nice to know I'm not alone.

My Mother's parents were Polish Jews and the dish at their house which I loved as a kid was torn up fresh Pumpernickel (you just can't get REAL pumpernickel anywhere), slathered with cottage cheese, sour cream (ditto for sour cream), salt & pepper. My mouth is watering as I type these words. :wub::wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

One of my husband's favorites. Sautee some chicken livers and finely diced onions in butter. Add a small slug of Madeira,salt and pepper and reduce slightly. Serve with toast points.

This is my little treat when cleaning a chicken for dinner. I will cook the liver on the spot and enjoy.

Other simple treats already mentioned and enjoyed are grilled cheese or fried egg sandwich. Too many more to mention

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

Fried rice. With leftover rice in the fridge, less than 5 minutes to make. It's also what's on the menu tonight along with teriyaki pork chops.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

A fried egg sandwich (on toast, of course).  Five minutes from start to consumption.

I like the Chinese version of this classic (especially when I want some comfort food). Fried eggs on steamed rice, drizzled with oyster sauce.

Or with fish sauce!

Or Sriracha!

Or gochujang!

Also:

Bacon and peanut butter sandwiches.

Egg noodles with brown butter, or brown butter and fried sage.

Bagel?

Rye bread from this particular bakery that I've been going to all my life. It has those black oniony seeds on it, and it's heavy. No butter. No anything, just a soft, fresh slice of this bread in the car, on the way home from the place. Sometimes it's still warm. The seeds, and the density of the bread are what sets it apart.

For me, a UK regional speciality....

Sliced Cheese - Cheddar laid out on a heat proof plate. A little milk is added to the plate, just enough to cover the base of the plate, but not totally cover the cheese. Then put it under a hot grill for a few minutes until the cheese has melted, bubbly and going brown

Season with a little white pepper, and eat with a stack of freshly made Staffordshire Oatcakes

Absolute bliss....

Sometimes I will roast a quartered bone in, skin on chicken over a bed of chopped up red or white potatoes and 2-3 heads of garlic broken up, but cloves with the skins on. Season the chicken with whatever spice blend sounds good, bake for 1 hour at 400 and bob's your uncle. The potatoes and garlic with soak in the schmaltz and will become as soft as butter. It can be fancied up by adding other veg like fennel, carrots, etc, or by adding herbs to the potatoes.

But there is nothing like potatoes cooked in schmaltz and roasted garlic on challah!

Dan

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

My frequent go-to, lazy dinner is simply chopping up some leafy green vegetables (dinosaur kale, brocoli rabe, or nappa cabbage most often) and stir-frying them with olive oil and salt. I don't even bother with garlic.

Or I microwave an artichoke. And I don't bother with snipping off the ends or any of the niceties.

Protein? Eh, if I happen to have some salami in the frig then I'll munch on that later.

fried smoked bacon between two buttered slices of white bread. crispy, soft, salty and lots of finger licking of the escaping buttery juices...

mushrooms sauteed in lots of butter and garlic, plenty of salt, sometimes with parsley, served with some crusty bread..for that quick full powered garlicy hit.

but best of all is tearing a piece of crust of some freshly-baked-still-warm bread and scraping it across the top of a block of refrigerator-hard salted butter... :wub:

my OH has a favourite sandwich that involves: a baguette, some brie, avocado, raw onion and roquette all topped off with sweet chilli sauce..as crazy as it sounds the sauce really makes the sandwich

Simple? Even simpler than an egg sandwich: I like to fold up a fried egg in a small tortilla with sriracha.

Heat nonstick frying pan, add a bit of oil at hand.

Fry egg.

Char tortilla directly over the other burner, 10 seconds each side twice.

Flip egg.

Lay out tortilla, draw a squiggle of sriracha.

Dump the egg on the tortilla, fold up nad eat like a flat mini-burrito.

Takes just a couple minutes from start to end.

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog