• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keeping things simple

Dave Hatfield

Great ideas and lots of things to try.

Here's another my favorites. Sortanara

Throw some pasta into boiling water (fusilli are my favorite shape for this dish). Put some smoked lardons into a medium hot frying pan; (No lardons? OK, cut up some thick bacon rashers into cross ways strips.) peel & roughly chop some garlic & add to to the pan. Fry until the lardons are just starting to brown; throw in some cream & stir well, let it boil down a bit. Now add a generous quantity of Parmesan, stir until melted then throw in some more. Drain the pasta well & add to the frying pan. Stir & grind some pepper over. Enjoy.

A variation. No lardons. Just saute some chopped garlic in butter until soft; add cream, stir in chunks of Gorgonzola and stir until they meld; now stir in some Parmesan. Pepper. Serve.

Can't much simpler than that.

Or can it?

Since the idea of egg sandwiches seems to be so popular and since I have a way to make them I like, I'll share:

two pieces of toasted sliced bread

1 USDA Grade A Large egg

1 t butter

salt

In a Teflon skillet, gently melt and spread the butter. Beat the egg, add the salt, and pour into the skillet.

Let the egg spread to cover the flat bottom of the skillet.

As the egg starts to set, using a light touch with a dinner fork, fold each of four sides to make a 'packet', a square or rectangle, to fit the toast.

For more detail, regard the egg as a circle and consider centered in the circle a square or rectangle that will fit the toast. Then fold the circle on each of the four sides of the rectangle.

To make a fold, have the skillet handle in one hand and the fork in the other, lift the skillet to make the egg nearly weightless for a fraction of a second, and, during that weightless interval, make the fold.

With all four folds done, flip the egg to cook the other side.

If have some moisture inside the square packet and have the packet nicely sealed, then the packet can expand to over twice its original volume.

Slide onto toast and eat.

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

Speaking of egg sandwiches, this is the version I have 3-4 times a week.

One egg, scrambled in butter, on a toasted english muffin with Sabra roasted red pepper hummus and a dash of hot sauce.

Hummus and eggs is my new favorite combo...I slip it in an omelette as filling instead of cheese, nice and creamy.

:biggrin:

Rice Cooker Mac and Cheese. Easy and quick just let the rice cooker do it's thing with the macaroni, chicken broth, and cream then toss a bunch of shredded cheese on top and hit the cook button again and bam easy delicious dinner.

Big Dan~

You throw the cooked pasta in, right?Or does it cook in the rice cooker? Sounds so easy !

Passover chicken: Chicken thighs baked in cream, @ 1 hour, till the meat is cooked & the cream has a beautiful browned crust thing going on top.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Pastina, with butter, grated parmesan, salt, and pepper.

My dad's favorite, and now one of mine, good for breakfast, lunch, dinner, hangover food, late night snack, good for babies, and old people, good for what ails ya.

Passover chicken:  Chicken thighs baked in cream, @ 1 hour, till the meat is cooked & the cream has a beautiful browned crust thing going on top.

OK, that sounds amazing! How much cream? Details!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Rice Cooker Mac and Cheese. Easy and quick just let the rice cooker do it's thing with the macaroni, chicken broth, and cream then toss a bunch of shredded cheese on top and hit the cook button again and bam easy delicious dinner.

Big Dan~

You throw the cooked pasta in, right?Or does it cook in the rice cooker? Sounds so easy !

Big Dan: I wanna know too!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

One of my husband's favorites. Sautee some chicken livers and finely diced onions in butter. Add a small slug of Madeira,salt and pepper and reduce slightly. Serve with toast points.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

One of my husband's favorites. Sautee some chicken livers and finely diced onions in butter. Add a small slug of Madeira,salt and pepper and reduce slightly. Serve with toast points.

Sub cognac for the madeira and add a small amount of hard boiled egg and that would be my dad's chopped chicken liver.

Passover chicken:  Chicken thighs baked in cream, @ 1 hour, till the meat is cooked & the cream has a beautiful browned crust thing going on top.

OK, that sounds amazing! How much cream? Details!

That's really all there is. lay a bunch of chicken thighs in a baking dish, pour on enough cream to cover (a quart?) and bake till done.

It's my friend Abby's "recipe" served at every passover to rave reviews. and it is indeed artery clogging good.

Per reccomendations on eG a while back, save the extra cream from the pan to add into mashed potatos

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Ventresca tuna belly straight outta the jar.

Toasted baguette with melted lardo.

Toro sashimi. :)

Grilled/fried kielbasa slices with horseradish.

Heirloom tomatoes, good balsamic, good olive oil.

Spaghetti alla olio.

Tomato and bacon sandwich, dipped in hot tomato soup (Campbell's is fine.)

Peanut butter on toast.

Macaroni and tomatoes w/salt and freshly-ground pepper.

Spaghetti with butter and parmesan.

Jacques Pepin's mother's soup: Toasted croutons in the bottom of the bowl. Grated Swiss or Parmesan. Chicken broth. Scallions.

One avocado, halved, seed removed, with lemon juice. Eat with a spoon. Heaven.

One artichoke, steamed or boiled, with your choice of dips. I learned to eat artichokes with Miracle Whip, and that's the way I still like 'em. The only thing better than this is TWO artichokes.

Edited to add: Two hard-boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped in a bowl with butter, salt, and pepper; serve buttered toast alongside. Best eaten the evening of the day on which you had blood drawn for your annual cholesterol screening.

Edited by jgm (log)

Big Dan~

Big Dan: I wanna know too!

The macaroni cooks in the rice cooker. I usually use 1 and half cups of macaroni, one and half cups of chicken broth, and 1 cup of heavy cream. Dump it all in the rice cooker hit the switch on the rice cooker and go about your business. The cream and broth not only cook the macaroni but it help flavor it a bit and form a bit of a sauce for the cheese to mix in with. When it switches back over to warm just dump some shredded cheese in. I usually use about 2 cups total of a mix of cheddar, Parmesan, bleu, and mozzarella. Mix it in the rice cooker until its mostly all melted then I hit the cook switch again and leave it for just a couple minutes so the cheese at the bottom becomes a nice and crispy brown.

Minimal effort required and it is awesome. The amount that I listed above usually lasts me for two meals by itself.

Edited by BigDan (log)

Toasted plain bagel, cream cheese, sliced onion and tomato, and some luscious lox. Mmm-MMMM!! :biggrin:

I thoroughly disapprove of duels...If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot...and kill him. ~Mark Twain