• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keeping things simple

Dave Hatfield

Although I love complicated dishes that require time, skill & finesse I also love a number of very simple dishes.

Let me give an example of what I mean. Garlic sausage & cheese open faced sandwiches!

Simply cut a baguette down the middle length ways, cut that into 3 inch slices, add just a smear of Dijon mustard, top with a medium thick slice of garlic sausage, put a medium slice of sharp cheddar on top of that then sprinkle with herbs de province. Place in the middle of an oven with the grill on until the cheese melts.

Pretty simple and IMHO very delicious. We have these for lunch often.

The question is? What are your very simple favorites? There are no rules or criteria other than they should be simple in ingredients and easy to prepare.

Lets heard from everyone.

egg noodles w/ cottage cheese( small curd) and a Tbls of sour cream.  A little salt and lots of fresh cracked pepper.  I think this is a Jewish thing as I've never seen anybody other than Jews eat it.

My mom would always serve something like this--she called it kluskis and cheese, referring to the Polish noodle (she's 100% Polish) though she used elbow macaroni, large curd, and butter instead of sour cream. I've always thought it was Polish.

Speaking of sour cream though, does anyone eat sour cream and bananas. My (Jewish) dad used to make that all the time.

My keeping things simple dish is lightly buttered noodles tossed with parmesan with a fried egg on top (and a lot of parsley if it's around).

nunc est bibendum...

egg noodles w/ cottage cheese( small curd) and a Tbls of sour cream.  A little salt and lots of fresh cracked pepper.  I think this is a Jewish thing as I've never seen anybody other than Jews eat it.

Lazy-man's cheese kugel, I guess. It is very simple, good and potentially dinner tomorrow.

Rice Cooker Mac and Cheese. Easy and quick just let the rice cooker do it's thing with the macaroni, chicken broth, and cream then toss a bunch of shredded cheese on top and hit the cook button again and bam easy delicious dinner.

What are your very simple favorites?

Lets heard from everyone.

I like a slightly microwaved bagel and a small mound of smooth peanut butter.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

A fried egg sandwich (on toast, of course).  Five minutes from start to consumption.

One of my all-time faves!

Let us now praise scrambled-egg sandwiches on toast. Splash of hot sauce. Even quicker than a fried egg sam.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Acini Pepe (pasta shape) which is usually used in soup but it was my "hot breakfast cereal" as a kid. Served with milk and butter

great for dinner when no one else is home

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Fresh white rice from a rice cooker with shake-on furikake.

Yes, you beat me to it! I was going to add "seasoned as for sushi rice" but you're spot on with the furikake.

also:

Good crusty bread, dragged through some rich deep green super flavorful Greek olive oil, and a grind of fresh black pepper.

Picking the stringy cooling strands from the breast of a roasted chicken, with the same olive oil/pepper treatment, plus a few grains of crunchy salt.

Good crusty bread again, and a chunk of sharp cheddar.

Honey on plain yogurt.

A fried egg sandwich (on toast, of course).  Five minutes from start to consumption.

I like the Chinese version of this classic (especially when I want some comfort food). Fried eggs on steamed rice, drizzled with oyster sauce.

Or with fish sauce!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

grilled spanish chorizo on a warm baguette with spanish extra virgin and sea salt...or a fried egg sandwich with some crispy bacon on toasted wonder bread with salt and cracked, black pepper!

i'd happily wash either of 'em down with a pint of organic milk.

Edited by KendallCollege (log)

eGullet Ethics Signatory

Another couple quickies for me -

-boiled fingerling or young potatoes, butter and sea salt.

-canned sardines in olive oil on top of steaming rice, a bit of salt and a squeeze of lemon to taste.

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum