• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gelatin-filtered chocolate consomme.

adey73

I stole the Sam Mason idea of making a chocolate stock with dutch cocoa powder, bitter chocolate, cocoa nibs, and cocoa butter. I cooked it in a thermal cooker over night, strained it and added .5% gelatin. After the freeze/thaw I now have the perfectly clear, exquisitely flavoured consomme.

But anyone got any idea what else to do with it (bar drinking it)?

3032025405_82080b217d_b.jpg

I did Chef Mason's consomme with gelatin filtration as well. It worked out better that way for me then when I did it with the raft. I used it by topping some vanilla bean noodles with a piece of halibut and pouring the consomme around it. I also used it in combination with walleye and grapefruit for an amuse course. I haven't used it for anything sweet yet (but I have use Alex and Aki's white chocolate consomme on the sweet side with great results).

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I stole the Sam Mason idea of making a chocolate stock with dutch cocoa powder, bitter chocolate, cocoa nibs, and cocoa butter. I cooked it in a thermal cooker over night, strained it and added .5% gelatin. After the freeze/thaw I now have the perfectly clear, exquisitely flavoured consomme.

But anyone got any idea what else to do with it (bar drinking it)?

3032025405_82080b217d_b.jpg

I messed around with it once and I thought I was good with sweet potato gnocchi and pistachios. I also enhanced the taste of it with a little Godiva liqueur.

I watched a show with Jose Andreas he ate at some restaurant in spain... but anyways

A dish featured on the show was, a poached hour long egg, they took off the extra whites and left it with just the whites covering the yoke. Put coffee grounds or coffee sand... i couldent tell as it was just brown powder. They painted the plate with gold, placed the egg in the middle, made some kind of edible seaweed paper. and finished at the table with a unique consomme... im not sure what kind of consomme it was... but maybe try the chocolate...

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.