• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Museums With a Food Theme

I’ve been thinking about potatoes a lot lately. Partly because I love them, and partly because my babysitter cancelled and now the kids are asleep and I’m not watching Daniel Craig taking care of business in the new Bond movie.

So I started archiving some images when I came across a recent trip to The Potato Museum in O’Leary, Prince Edward Island. It’s quite a place – rural, informative and casual. The café offers everything potato, including fudge (but no potato sandwiches). The exhibits are quirky to say the least. Behold a skillfully crafted Tussaudesque wax russet complete with mosaic virus:

gallery_42214_5579_30691.jpg

Here’s what you see on approach:

gallery_42214_5579_230002.jpg

This is a nearby intersection:

gallery_42214_5579_181333.jpg

And here’s what you do when you get home with twenty pounds of Yukon Gold:

gallery_42214_5579_23996.jpg

I’ve searched the eG database and haven’t found a topic for food-themed museums.

If you've been to a museum featuring food let's hear about it.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Raye's Mustard Mill in Eastport ME

gallery_14_356_5186.jpg

Mustard Mill

Started out making mustard for all the sardine canneries in Maine. As the industry closed down, they evolved into the mustard museum, showing the manufacturing/milling process. Their factory mustard, the original sardine mustard, is great atop hot dogs.

Raye's Mustard Mill

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I haven't been (yet), but Roslyn, SD is home to the International Vinegar Museum I saw a lady wearing a t-shirt advertising the place while I was at the grocery store last week. It's not too far from me. I really should take a road trip some day.

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

The gorgeous Chocolate Museum in Bruges, Belgium. I remember a Chocolate Princess, some history, some equipement, and a lot of chocolate pots. Well done and you could get a booklet with coupons to follow the chocolate trail and get samples at various shops.

The gorgeous Chocolate Museum in Bruges, Belgium.  I remember a Chocolate Princess, some history, some equipement,  and a lot of chocolate pots.  Well done and you could get a booklet with coupons to follow the chocolate trail and get samples at various shops.

Seconded on the chocolate museum. Unfortunately, I don't think we have any pictures from the museum itself. But they also had a thorough explanation of how pralines (using the filled chocolate definition common in Belgium) and chocolates in general are made, percentages of the contents which qualify it as milk, dark, bittersweet, etc. Also, there was a demonstration at the end. Unfortunately, it was in Flemish, but we could get the gist of it. We were together with a school group; the children gobbled their chocolates without thinking while the adults in their group savored them.

Do brewery and cidery tours count as food museums? :raz: When we were on that same trip to Belgium, we toured Cantillon Brewery in Brussels. They brew lambic, so it's a different process, and their brewery is almost museum-like (their site touts their brewery as "Brussel's Museum for the Gueuze". They give some history for the style and the traditional process for production (which they still follow). I don't think I've actually been on a "traditional" brewery tour, though. We've also gone on some cidery tours near Montreal. I think my favorite was at Michel Jodoin, since it was quite thorough and they make some great ciders to boot.

(edited to add some more links)

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Well, there's always Copia... nope, you blinked and missed it!

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

The Southern Food and Beverage Museum and the associated Museum of the American Cocktail located in the same space in Riverwalk in the fair city of New Orleans are not to be missed when there.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I have been to the Yokohama ramen museum. Not only does it feature no less than eight regional styles of ramen for your sampling pleasure, the whole place is a mocked-up Showa era streetscape, where you can visit a candy shop, watch busker routines, or take goofy pictures of yourself in front of old movie posters.

Serious fun, and delicious ramen. My favourites were the tonkotsu ramen with roasted garlic chips, from Kumamoto, and the miso ramen from Sapporo.

Yokohama Ramen Museum blog post.

Mustard Museum in Mount Horeb, WI. may be able to get there on or back from our trip to Duluth in spring, 2010.

i can't remember if it was on a tv show or something i just read but there isthe currywurst museum in Berlin.

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I haven't been (yet), but Roslyn, SD is home to the International Vinegar Museum  I saw a lady wearing a t-shirt advertising the place while I was at the grocery store last week.  It's not too far from me.  I really should take a road trip some day.

April

And if the museum isn't a big enough thrill, Roslyn also happens to be the boyhood home of Myron Floren, for you accordion fans.

The Vinegar Museum is fairly interesting and you get to do a tasting at the end.

gallery_34671_3115_17514.jpg

The perfect Belgian treat - chocolate frites!

Is that really what I think it is?

A cold french fry entombed in chocolate?

White chocolate?

Moe Sizlack

White chocolate?

Nope, fake frites made from white chocolate!

How about Julia Child's Kitchen at the Smithsonian? - here is the link

http://americanhistory.si.edu/juliachild/

That amazing! And the museum reopens in just four days (Nov.21, 2008) after major renos by SOM architects. Next time I'm in DC . . .

Who here wouldn't recognize that kitchen? I've always wondered about those famous pegboard walls with the tools outlined in blackline, like a high school shop class. I could never do that. Teflon pans last a year or two in my kitchen -- I'd have to find exactly the same shape of pan to fill the silhouette.

Moe Sizlack

White chocolate?

Fake french fries? Phony freedom fries? False frites? Phew.

They look a little yellow and blistered. Have you tried one?

Moe Sizlack

White chocolate?

Fake french fries? Phony freedom fries? False frites? Phew.

They look a little yellow and blistered. Have you tried one?

No there were none to try. Just the bucket in a display case!