• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Sandwiches

I recently had leftover boxty -- a perfectly golden round potato pancake -- between the toasted halves of an English muffin. Naked, without condiments, it was a nine out of ten. And then I thought "why have I never seen a potato sandwich in a menu? Not ever."

It seems like a cost-effective product for fast food chains. If there are traditional examples from various cultures, then why aren't they available in those restaurants? Or are they?

I want examples of potato sandwiches . . .

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Potato salad sandwiches are very very very common in Japan.  I'm not sure if you can actually get them in restaurants, but you can get them at bakeries everywhere.

That's three verys -- obviously I've never been. What are they like?

Moe Sizlack

Potato salad sandwiches are very very very common in Japan.  I'm not sure if you can actually get them in restaurants, but you can get them at bakeries everywhere.

and here is an example of a Japanese potato sandwich

While they are far from my favorite I do indulge occasionally. :blink: The potato pancake and muffin does sound good though.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

That's three verys -- obviously I've never been. What are they like?

I like potato salad, and I like soft white bread, but I don't like potato salad sandwiches. They're very carb-y.

Actually, they're not that bad. I've just been scarred after having bitten into a potato salad sandwich thinking it was egg salad. It wasn't a pleasant surprise.

My Ex's mother liked grilled mashed potato sandwiches on white bread...made like a grilled cheese

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

While they are far from my favorite I do indulge occasionally. :blink: The potato pancake and muffin does sound good though.

Kris, thanks for that image. . . it looks so white, processed and refined. Is it fair to call it junk food?

What if it was made with a chewy loaf of wild yeast rounds (cooked and toasted on a wood stove) and heirloom tubers smothered with artisanal aioli? Could they become a favourite?

Moe Sizlack

Potato pizza is yummy, I think homefries, well done, on crusty bread would be carbolicious! Maybe something like an asiago bread...

evil man for making me think about that...

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

do potato tacos count?

Strictly speaking not a sandwich, but I've never had one. What are they like? Is it a potato-instead-of-meat thing? Or is it connected to a Meso American or Andean tradition?

Moe Sizlack

Kris, thanks for that image. . . it looks so white, processed and refined. Is it fair to call it junk food?

What if it was made with a chewy loaf of wild yeast rounds (cooked and toasted on a wood stove) and heirloom tubers smothered with artisanal aioli? Could they become a favourite?

Ah! but Japanese junk food is the best... their corner store sandwich are soooo good and lets not talk about ramen, sushi and ready made bento boxes.

Never tried potato sandwich though... but if it is full of kewpie mayonnaise I'm sure its both delicious and bad for you.

too much starch (carbs).

Americans want meat on their sandwich and want to save their carbs for sweets, or french fries.

If all you have is english muffins and potatoes maybe its not so bad, but I think people will always pick a turkey sandwich on focaccia or a potato sandwich.

When I read the title I though the potato was being used as the crust(bread) and that sounded pretty good to me, but once you took the meat away, I lost interest :).

Though I have been one to put shredded and sautéed potatos and onions on my burger.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

We were in Marrakech, in the square where , like magic, resturants spring up in the late afternoon. Expected the grilled bits, the fried fish, the soup. But was surprised by the "Potato Sandwich". They took a round, flat bread/roll, cut up a big cooked potato, chopped a hard cooked egg (huges piles on counter), and stuffed those into the bread. The customer then seasoned it by pinching up some of the mixture of salt and cumin provided. May have been onions involved not sure. Looked really good and cheap and easy to make.

I've had some "vegetarian" sandwiches around here that have roasted potatoes on them with roasted bell peppers, onions, zucchini, etc. I tend to think of it as a "leftover sandwich" because it seems like they've got all the leftover roasted veggies from dinner the night before.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

So why are the Brits not chiming in with chip butties?

Or the Danes with cold sliced potato on dark bread?

Or crazy Canucks with potato chip sarnies?

Sheesh!!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

As a kid, I recall visiting a friends farmhouse one evening and her mom was cooking up fried potato slices and putting them between slices of squidgy white bread. I was stunned! The whole idea of a starch sandwich was totally foreign in my house.

In spite of my reservations, they convinced me to try one - I was won over in one bite! Yummy! Crispy greasy starch on starch - what's not to love!

Are potato chip sandwiches Canadian?

I guess that explains why I put potato chips in my sandwiches (sometimes), but it's usually in addition to whatever protein is in there. It's never just potato chips as the filling. Does it still count as a potato sandwich?

I also put french fries in my filet o' fish and hamburgers when I go to McD's, but that's also an addition, not the star.

When most people make potato chip sandwiches, do they use plain potato chips, or can you use flavoured potato chips, too?

Are potato chip sandwiches Canadian?

I guess that explains why I put potato chips in my sandwiches (sometimes), but it's usually in addition to whatever protein is in there. It's never just potato chips as the filling. Does it still count as a potato sandwich?

I also put french fries in my filet o' fish and hamburgers when I go to McD's, but that's also an addition, not the star.

When most people make potato chip sandwiches, do they use plain potato chips, or can you use flavoured potato chips, too?

I always had bbq chips (Humpty Dumpty) on my PNB sandwiches..still do sometimes.

Indeed chip butties are a wonderful thing

Hot chips (which the US call fries), thick white bread, plenty of butter and tomato ketchup.

Eat over the sink as the hot chips will melt the butter which combines witht the ketchup to make an orange goo that runs down your arms...

Indeed chip butties are a wonderful thing

Hot chips (which the US call fries), thick white bread, plenty of butter and tomato ketchup.

Eat over the sink as the hot chips will melt the butter which combines witht the ketchup to make an orange goo that runs down your arms...

I've heard you can get french fries in sandwich form at Toronto FC's BMO Feild (pro soccer venue) but I didn't know what they're called. And now I've learned that this type of sandwich is very popular with other soccer fans, particularly Sheffield United Football Club who's fans sing "The Greasy Chip Butty Song".

So does butty rhyme with putty?

Moe Sizlack

do potato tacos count?

Strictly speaking not a sandwich, but I've never had one. What are they like? Is it a potato-instead-of-meat thing? Or is it connected to a Meso American or Andean tradition?

Apparently a sandwich must legally include at least two slices of bread according to Massachusetts law. From the Boston Globe: Panera Bread Co. v. Qdoba Mexican Grill.

Moe Sizlack