• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW] Best BYO Restaurants

Richard Kilgore

BYO restaurants may be perfect for these times. My favorite continues to be Thai-riffic for Thai food, but I know there are many out there all over the DFW metroplex.

Asian, Italian, whatever...what are your favorites?

I don't go to many restaurants that don't serve booze, outside of some fast food joints. But there is one local pizza join nearby that doesn't serve booze, but people will BYO.. I like their pizza when I am not making my own (like I am tonight). So, I suppose I'll vote for them (though I never have actually done it there ). It's called Besa's Pizza and Pasta.

I wonder how well a Torrontes would pair with Thai? It worked well for a spicy "sezchuan" stir fry I made.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Grapevine - Friends suggest Cafe Italia on NW Hwy for a very pleasant cut-above red sauce place with BYOB. I have not been there, but have eaten with them at a little more casual place with BYOB, Amore - also on NW Hwy, near Park. Cheap and good.

Zorba's in Plano wouldn't be right without your own bottle to open. I really like that they've kept with that concept and approach.

Jasmine Thai is BYOB but I never think to bring something and never find myself craving wine or even beer with their food. Making my ice tea nuclear sweet is the best way to compliment their fiery food.

Best way to find BYOB is to search on guidelive.com with a keyword of BYOB. However, lots of info. is out of date.

My favorites:

Mexican: La Palapa Veracruzana - Oak Cliff

Italian: Amici - Carrollton

Peruvian: La Esperanza - Carrollton

French: Normandie Alliance - Plano

Indian: Indya Fusion, Chettinaad Palace, Maharrajah - Plano

Thai: Tamarind, Sitar - Plano

Sushi: Simon's - Plano

Mediterranean: Taste of Galilee - Plano, Marrakesh - Dallas

Caribbean: Scarlet Ibis - Addison

Note: Some places are switching to licensed so this list will change.