• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Simulating citron for panforte in the US

gfron1

Citron is a specific type of citrus with a particular flavour, so while it might be possible to replicate something green and candied, the flavour is unlikely to be correct. I'm not sure why the citron would have preseratives (other then salt and sugar), are you able to find whole peel rather then pre-diced stuff?

Have you tried the King Arthur Flour website for citron? Although their shipping can be pricey.

Edited to add: I've made panforte a couple of times and I don't think there is a huge issue in most recipes with replacing the citron with candied orange and lemon peel. The spicing tends to dominate and the candied fruit is more for texture.

Edited by rickster (log)

If you have an Asian grocery anywhere nearby, Korean yujacha is essentially a marmalade made of citron, meant to have boiling water poured over and drunk as tea. But I've used it for cooking successfully, most notably for a mashed sweet potato glaze at Thanksgiving. If you got your hands on some, it should be relatively inexpensive - and you could just rinse the jam part off.

Do you speak Italian? I found this recipe, or I guess process. I have never tried it, so I haven't a clue if it works or not!

http://it.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...19065241AAnmFdw

if you don't, I can translate for you.

If not, try BuonItalia in New York. Their retail prices are outrageous, but I think they should have normal pricing for wholesale.