• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French magazines

qrn

I was rooting around in the bookcase the other day and found 20 or 30 French magazines from the mid to late 90's...They were Cusine Gourmande ,Cusine Actuelle,and Cusiner.I had forgotten them,but am really glad I saved them..

These are amazing mags...They assume for the most part one knows how to cook and are a bunch of recipes(up to a 100+ per issue), with pictures of the finished product. Each issue is slanted toward a general subject, the time of year ie. spring , holidays ,and, locations ,type of meals etc.. Really great inventive things that I have not seen in things like CI CL bonapite etc.

If there were such a US type magazine I would think it would be well received.

Now all I have to do is brush up on all my French cooking terms and get started on some new stuff to cook...Anybody else using these mags?

Bud

• 5 months later...

save them all! :)

yes, all those you mention, and some more. i hardly cook from them but how i love looking at them! i also collect german cookery mags as i can understand some german, and the layout/style is a bit like the french version. so many beautiful cookery mags to buy [my house isn't happy being used as a mag storage]! here in food hell it's just a case of hopping on the train as i live close to both belgian and german borders, and coming back with more than i can carry.

Ive been working through them for ideas , and using various recipes....They still amaze me, compared to the US cooking Mags....

And, it helps my French reading ,although I cheated a bit and bought a French/English Gastronomic Dictionary...

Bud

• 7 months later...