• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cutlery Store

ChefJeff

I'm (still) in the market for a 10" chefs knife to add to my collection. Who has the best and broadest selection of knives in the Central NJ area ? Wusthof, Global, amongst others still in the running and I want to try them out before buying.

Thanks !

I would only recomend chef central for hard to find stuff as their prices are high on many items, If you have a tax id# you can go to restaurant depot in south hackensack, they have a fair knife selection.

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

i just went down to just knives yesterday and they have a wonderful selction and are very helpful. the store is however in the middle of no-where. i would not recommend going down there as most of you guys would be comming from north or central jersey and its just not worth the trip. i mean you would relly think you were in north carolina when you got into the town its in and its also tough to find.

• 1 year later...

Without question, the best place to buy knives in your area is Mastergrinding.

They are in Rockaway NJ, about 15 miles from Madison.

I was there just today buying a gift for a relative.

Their main business is sharpening knives for the trade (restaurants, butchers, supermarkets). However, they stock all the well known brands (Wustoff, Global, Henckel, Lamson, F Dick) and many you've probably never heard of.

Rita, who runs the place is a wonderful lady. The store itself is located in a building behind a convenience store, so it's REALLY off the beaten path. They also have a pretty good line of professional kitchen supplies.

They are very knowledgeable about knives, and have about the best prices I've seen anywhere (typically 25-30% off list, and better than many internet prices).

I've been dealing with them for several years and enjoy spending some time in their little store of toys < s >

MASTER GRINDING SERVICE, INC.

14 Union Street

Rockaway, New Jersey 07866

1-888-KNIFEPRO (1-888-564-3377)

Call first for directions... it's only a couple of blocks from exit 37 on Route 80, but if you don't know exactly where it is, you'll drive around in circles looking for it (don't ask me how I know this).

If you do go there or call, tell Rita that Alan Zenreich sent you, she likes knowing where folk come from.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no connection with this company, I'm just an incredibly happy customer of theirs... they are quite a find < s >

Speaking of knives ... a lay-person's question. I've seen so many infomercials on these "30 knifes" for 3 payments of $13.33 put out by Ronco. I could not be farther "removed" from a kitchen, but my wife loves to cook. Would I be wasting money on this set as a Christmas gift? Should we stay away from these instruments?

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

Speaking of knives ... a lay-person's question. I've seen so many infomercials on these "30 knifes" for 3 payments of $13.33 put out by Ronco. I could not be farther "removed" from a kitchen, but my wife loves to cook. Would I be wasting money on this set as a Christmas gift? Should we stay away from these instruments?

A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY!!! THE STUFF IS REALLY JUNK--

Stick with the name brands I mentioned above-- Wusthof, Henckels, Sabatier... Laguiole would be a splurge. If cared for properly, good knives can last a lifetime. Cheap knives may not last a month.

As far as I'm concerned, you only need ONE very good chef's knife and that would be an 8 or 10" Wusthoff or Henckell's. If you're not a professional, do not spend a lot of money on anything else although a good serrated knife and a good slicer are very useful but here you could buy Sabatier or Lanson which are much cheaper. My advice is to try after the holidays in New York. Places like Broadway Panhandler and Zabar's often have huge sales.