• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to stage in Chicago or NY?

boondocker

A little introduciont, since I am new. I'm currently working saute at a country club in Duluth, MN. I have ambitions of moving out to a bigger city since I am at the best kitchen in this area curently (we were rated as the second best private club for food and dining in the country not so long ago by a major golf magazine).

My chef believes I have the ability to go far, and has connections in either of these towns. I am planning on moving to chicago at the end of the summer. I am torn though, he can get me a staige at Charlie Trotter's for sure if I go to chicago for a week, or he could get me one going at the London if I go to NY. From there, its just figuring out what other place I want to go. I've been doing some readong, and have a pretty good list for NY. (The London, Daniel's, Jean George's, Per Se would be nice places to go :))

I guess what I'm trying to find out is should I try to get in where I plan on living and maybe get a gig out of the staige, or go somewhere I may never again get a chance to go to/work at

edited because i need to learn how to proof read..

Edited by boondocker (log)

A little introduciont, since I am new. I'm currently working saute at a country club in Duluth, MN. I have ambitions of moving out to a bigger city since I am at the best kitchen in this area curently (we were rated as the second best private club for food and dining in the country not so long ago by a major golf magazine).

My chef believes I have the ability to go far, and has connections in either of these towns. I am planning on moving to chicago at the end of the summer. I am torn though, he can get me a staige at Charlie Trotter's for sure if I go to chicago for a week, or he could get me one going at the London if I go to NY. From there, its just figuring out what other place I want to go. I've been doing some readong, and have a pretty good list for NY. (The London, Daniel's, Jean George's, Per Se would be nice places to go :))

I guess what I'm trying to find out is should I try to get in that I can keep learning things that isn't big into molecular gastronamy which looks fun, but I think that I'd be better off getting a solid background first.

If I were you, stay closer to home incase stuff happens. Take the Trotters gig, maybe things can pan out for you from there, and then maybe they can help you at another place....

I guess what I'm trying to find out is should I try to get in where I plan on living and maybe get a gig out of the staige, or go somewhere I may never again get a chance to go to/work at

edited because i need to learn how to proof read..

Those are some really nice places you listed. I guess what you should ask yourself is, what is best for you? Chicago is a great city, but so is New York. I'm not too familiar about Chicago, but there are a lot of good places to learn your fundamentals ...Chef Trotter's place would be one of them. Molecular wise, I only know of two places in Chicago ...Moto and Alinea. Both of those places would be an awesome experience. New York City is one of the culinary meca's of the world. Not to say Chicago isn't on the map. When I worked in New York, to me, it just seemed like opportunity was everywhere. I worked at Jean George's for about 2 years and it was a great experience. Guys like Sam Mason, Wylie Dufresne, Alex Stupak, and Will Goldfarb are all there just a blocks away. Although Grant Atchaz is in Chicago! I've always been told, that the restaurant business favors the single guys (and gals) that are always willing to pick up and leave to achieve perfection and pursue a dream. Best of luck with your decision.

It wasn't too hard...I am trailing for a spot to go and intern for culinary school for three months. In the beginning I emailed my resume and cover letter to all the restaurants I was interested in (mainly Bay area and NYC) and if they responded I went from there. I lucked out on Daniel in that they responded, the main reason they did so was because I started contacting places in October for my internship in March. So if anything start early.

i'd say NY, easy to travel around w/o transportation. Cheap to take the subways. Lots of choices within walking distance. And just about anyone in Chicago wants to be in NYc anyways... is there really a comparison... It should be where in NYC should i stage...

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

Having been in both cities, I would say go to NYC. I do love Chicago(have to stick up for my hometown) and think that there are many fine options for dining and restaurant work in Chicago. Charlie Trotter's, Avenues, Alinea, Moto, Blackbird, Spiaggia, Everest, Carlos, TRU, Topolobompo all come to mind off the top of my head. However, getting an "in" in NYC is difficult, and if you have one, I would take it. NYC does have more haute temples than Chicago, with The London being one of them, as well as Bernadin, Daniel, Babbo, Jean Georges, MASA, Per Se and the newly opened Corton. There is more of everything in NYC, which is good and bad, because it kind of makes mediocrity more rampant, in my opinion, for the more affordable options. It is also a lot more expensive to live here than Chicago, but the restaurant scene is truly one of a kind here. However, expect to pay about $15-20 more per for an equivilant dinner in other cities, except SF.

As far as the public transpo in Chicago, it is not bad there. If you live off of the red or blue lines, it is pretty easy to get anywhere you want to go.

Ryan Jaronik

Executive Chef

Monkey Town

NYC

Yep.  No transportation whatsoever in Chicago.  Can't walk anywhere.  And everyone who lives there not-so-secretly wishes they were in NYC.  The only thing that's a secret is why they don't all move en masse!

Sorry, Mike. Can't let that one pass, as a thirty year resident of Chicago.

Transportation? Geez, bus, El and taxis. Walking? A neat grid plan. We're not talking LA or Atlanta, fine cities with their own transportation challenges.

And why the heck do you think we all want to move to New York?. Not. Chicago has the better of the best, it's affordable, it's bubbling with creativity culinary and otherwise. I know peeps who want to go to NYC or Miami or LA for professional reasons of their own. That's cool.

I seriously doubt your take on Chicago if you don't know about walking or public transportation. Come back -- I('ll give you a tour!

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Yep.  No transportation whatsoever in Chicago.  Can't walk anywhere.  And everyone who lives there not-so-secretly wishes they were in NYC.  The only thing that's a secret is why they don't all move en masse!

Transportation? Geez, bus, El and taxis. Walking? A neat grid plan. We're not talking LA or Atlanta, fine cities with their own transportation challenges.

And why the heck do you think we all want to move to New York?. Not. Chicago has the better of the best, it's affordable, it's bubbling with creativity culinary and otherwise. I know peeps who want to go to NYC or Miami or LA for professional reasons of their own. That's cool.

I seriously doubt your take on Chicago if you don't know about walking or public transportation. Come back -- I('ll give you a tour!

Busses take forever and cabs are expensive!! Trains are 2 dollars... and you can ride that mofo for hours! as for living expenses i live in a great area, i have a view of the entire Manhattan skyline from almost every room, and i pay less then 600 a month!! and im less then 15 minutes away from per se, daniel, robuchon, gordon ramsey, you name it i could probably get there in less then 30 minutes...

that and Chicago... well you dont have central park.... and 5 Chinatown, and 5 zoo's... what does Chicago have that new york doesn't have at least 3 of already?? Hell we already took Morimotto from you... who else yall got?

Busses take forever and cabs are expensive!! Trains are 2 dollars... and you can ride that mofo for hours! as for living expenses i live in a great area, i have a view of the entire Manhattan skyline from almost every room, and i pay less then 600 a month!! and im less then 15 minutes away from per se, daniel, robuchon, gordon ramsey, you name it i could probably get there in less then 30 minutes...

that and Chicago... well you dont have central park.... and 5 Chinatown, and 5 zoo's... what does Chicago have that new york doesn't have at least 3 of already??  Hell we already took Morimotto from you... who else yall got?

Its true, unfortunately we have only a couple of small parks, only 1 China town, only 2 zoo's...

...and a major shortage of arrogant New Yorker's.

that and Chicago... well you dont have central park.... and 5 Chinatown, and 5 zoo's... what does Chicago have that new york doesn't have at least 3 of already??  Hell we already took Morimotto from you... who else yall got?

Its true, unfortunately we have only a couple of small parks, only 1 China town, only 2 zoo's...

...and a major shortage of arrogant New Yorker's.

ROFL well technically im a Texan, unfortunatly the longer you live in New York the more you become one of them :(

Hahaha. Sarcasm doesn't translate well on the internet. I was born and raised in Chicago, and I'm only in New Orleans for school. I love the city, and I was attempting to make a sarcastic reply to the post before mine!

So to clear things up, I think it's ABSURD to make comments like that about the wonderful city of Chicago. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Edited by MikeHartnett (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Queens is about the last affordable place to dwell in New York, but it is not Manhattan, and you need to live right over the river or your looking at a long train ride, longer than Lakeview to Downtown in Chicago (15 minutes, redline.)

Chicago never had Morimoto, Philly did. But he did start at Nobu here in the states.

Chicago still has Achatz, Trotter, Cantu, Kahan, Bayless, Joho, Tramonto, Gand, Mantuano and Arun. This is a pretty stellar line-up. You would be happy to eat at these places any day of the week. And then follow it up with Hot Doug's.

NYC, on the other hand, has the likes of Per Se, JG, Daniel, Masa and LB for the 4 star joints. The common denominator is these places are more on the old school side, perhaps sin Per Se and JG to an extent and Masa.

Corton, wd-50, 11 Madison and the Momofukus are pushing the envelope, and are more like the cutting edge places of Chicago, if not a step in another direction than Moto, Alinea, Graham Elliot, TRU or Avenues.

Subway fare is the same in both cities, with NYC getting ready to jump to $2.50 next year as the MTA balances the budget. I've always found the L and the subway to be about the same in time in either city to get where I want to go, if not a little longer in NYC because of the transfers involved.

Chicago does have the next President of the US, a higher quality basketball team, two baseball teams that made the playoffs and Da' Bears. Actually, Timeout just ran an article comparing the major cities with one another and it tells you exactly who has how much of what.

Ryan Jaronik

Executive Chef

Monkey Town

NYC