• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW] Central Market

Richard Kilgore

The new Central Market in South Lake has been open one week. I stopped in too near to closing this weekend and only had time for a quick, partial walk-through. I'll post more as I have time to see what there is to see.

It looks like they are still tweaking the operation, as would be expected.

It also appears they have taken a page from the Best Cellars play book by using easy to grasp categories for some of the wine display: fizzy, smooth, bold...that sort of thing.

Anyone else been?

We're planning a run. I guess after the Holidays, now, though.

CMs right when they open are always fun because they're more experimental and focused on luring people in, so they carry more exotic stuff just to see what sticks. The Plano one, for instance, had live abalone, razor clams, and langoustines right when the opened and then ditched them once they settled in.

Did another walk-through tonight. A few miscellaneous observations:

The wine department and cheese department appear to be about 1/2 - 2/3 the size of the Plano and Dallas stores.

Great image: a couple of guys working on a 12,500 pound block of Wisconsin Chedddar cheese in the aisle. They had it cut down to a mere 4,500 pounds when I passed by.

When buying bread, remember that when you print a label for one loaf you have to enter the quantity even though the labeler reads "1" by default. Someone needs to fix this quirk.

Check out the Rome Octopus Salad in the fish department. It's made with baby octopus and is terrific.

It also appears they have taken a page from the Best Cellars play book by using easy to grasp categories for some of the wine display: fizzy, smooth, bold...that sort of thing.

The Plano location has the same thing now. They did some remodelling of the store and removed the area where the rotisserie chicken, sushi and tamales were made and sold and replaced it with the wine display you mention.

As far as the label printers and entering a quantity goes? the ones in the produce section work the same way. As far as I can remember, it's always been that way. I think the logic is that they want you to enter the actual amount instead of accidently taking a default. For example, if limes are 5 for $1 and you enter the code onto the scale, a 5 appears and the price is $1. But you can't hit print. You have to key the number of limes you have in the bag. I guess it's a "safety" feature if you have some number of limes other than 5.

Edited by jsmeeker (log)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

what is the address?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

what is the address?

I'll get the address, but here's how to get there:

Take the South Lake Blvd (Rd?) Exit off Hwy 114. (This is west of the DFW Airport.) Take the first street south to South Lake Blvd (Rd?) and turn right. Go about 1 1/2 to 2 miles. It's on your left. If you go after dark be very careful as you turn in either of the two entrances, because they are not lighted and there is a hard to see median at the turn in.

• 1 month later...

We made a day trip out here on Saturday, walking around that whole development and then capping things off with a visit to CM. I used to work out near there 4 years ago and none of this was there. Really taken off.

Anyways, I guess I'm turning into a CM snob. This one's definitely smaller than the Ft. Worth and Plano branches and mayber smaller than the Dallas one. Slightly different layout as well. The seafood department may be smaller and I agree that the wine/beer aisles are smaller. My wife scoped out the prepared foods section and said it was more impressive than the Plano one, however.

They did carry fresh (unfrozen) duck, which is routinely hard to come by at the Plano CM, however.

• 1 year later...

I don't get to the Dallas CM too often as the Plano one is more convenient (closer to home, plus it's between work and home). But I was down there last weekend. Looks like they have made some changes/renovations since my last trip.

The cafe area looks really new. And they are serving breakfast. Wines by the glass are available. There is a large dedicated sushi counter, too. In the produce section, they have a large area where they have a large "mise en place" section of veggies. Grab as much or as little as you need of something. They say this is the only CM with this features. They also have the packaged kits that include meats, sauces, veggies, seasonings, spices, herbs, etc. All ready to go. (I have seen this in the Plano store, too).

I'm glad I was able to make it down there. What else is new at the Dallas CM?

Apparently they've taken the highlights of the other DFW CMs and incorporated it into their renovations. They got a Salt Bar like the Plano and Southlake ones and the Sushi bar I believe was also taken from the Plano location.

Hopefully they changed course on the sandwich offerings. We ate there for lunch and it was build-your-own: you had to specify what all you wanted on your sandwich. CM Plano tried that approach after their remodel and very quickly went back to their old way.

Apparently they've taken the highlights of the other DFW CMs and incorporated it into their renovations.  They got a Salt Bar like the Plano and Southlake ones and the Sushi bar I believe was also taken from the Plano location.

Hopefully they changed course on the sandwich offerings.  We ate there for lunch and it was build-your-own: you had to specify what all you wanted on your sandwich.  CM Plano tried that approach after their remodel and very quickly went back to their old way.

The Plano store doesn't have a sushi bar like the Dallas location. The Dallas one actually has people there making it up fresh and selling individual pieces. I thin Plano only sells the pre-packaged stuff. I do recall the Plano one switching around their sandwhich options.

The Plano store doesn't have a sushi bar like the Dallas location. The Dallas one actually has people there making it up fresh and selling individual pieces. I thin Plano only sells the pre-packaged stuff.  I do recall the Plano one switching around their sandwhich options.

You know, you're right.

But they DID have one, years back, where that rack of wines organized by taste is now.

Oh, I think that's something the Dallas CM does now too (wines grouped by flavor)right?

The Plano store doesn't have a sushi bar like the Dallas location. The Dallas one actually has people there making it up fresh and selling individual pieces. I thin Plano only sells the pre-packaged stuff.  I do recall the Plano one switching around their sandwhich options.

You know, you're right.

But they DID have one, years back, where that rack of wines organized by taste is now.

Oh, I think that's something the Dallas CM does now too (wines grouped by flavor)right?

Yeah.. That's where it was, before they put that wine display. That's also where they had stuff like rotisserie chicken. I guess at the time, it sort of made sense to have that at the end of "animal protein row", but I they probably realized that it was really prepared, ready to eat food and that it was better to move it over with the rest of it so that people who just wanted that didn't need to walk through half to store to get to it.

The Dallas CM did have the same wine display like Plano does. The "flavor profile" thing. Is that new for them? But of course, they still display most of their wine in the more traditional way. (just like Plano continues to do)

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be taking a class at the Dallas CM Saturday morning.

I was on the wait list for the tamales class.  They had a cancellation, so they called my back and now I am in!

who is teaching it?

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

• 8 months later...
Has anyone else tried the "vacuum fried" veggies at Central Market? The garlic and the okra are terrific.

I assume by "vacuum fried," you mean dehydrated, right?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Yes, pray tell, as I have a friend who can make a run for me.  I love getting care packages from Central Market.

Also, is it made by "Just Vegetable Company?" If so, I can get that here. Are they freeze-dried, or are they fried vegetable chip-like items?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I have not seen these, Richard.  Are they making them in house in the Dallas store? Are there other types of veggies available?

I don't think they are making them in-house. Look for them in the bulk foods section. And yes...carrots, green beans, maybe more.

Yes, pray tell, as I have a friend who can make a run for me.  I love getting care packages from Central Market.

Also, is it made by "Just Vegetable Company?" If so, I can get that here. Are they freeze-dried, or are they fried vegetable chip-like items?

Don't know anything about the "Just Vegetable Company", and couldn't Google them. These are not hard chips. The best description of these vacuum fried veggies that I can do is above.

Has anyone else tried the "vacuum fried" veggies at Central Market? The garlic and the okra are terrific.

THe maids ate all the okra that I brought back from my last trip before I could even get a taste.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

these are nothing like "Just Vegetable Company" products.

THe maids ate all the okra that I brought back from my last trip before I could even get a taste.

Misanthropic wenches. Put them in their proper "downstairs" cubby holes. :wink:

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account