• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW] Dallas liquor stores

jsmeeker

Many will say that Dallas does not have a very good cocktail scene. But I think that it has a pretty good set of liquor stores.

Goody Goody in Addison is one of my most favorite stores any place in town. (not just liquor stores, ANY store). I shop there a lot. Huge selection of stuff. Good prices. They seem to have almost everything a person could ask for.

Pogo's is another nice place. Down on Inwood and Lovers, this small store has a very well thought out selection. It's not where near as much as Goody Goody, but they don't carry really cheap stuff, and the amount of actual stock they have on the shevles is limited. But this is the place I can pickup thew few things I can't get at Goody Goody. I've bought Luxardo Maraschino here. I bought my Regan's Orange Bitters here. They carry Vya Vermouth. I picked up a six pack of Barritt's Ginger Beer here last weekend. (I totally forgot to look for Creme de Violette)

Really, I think between Goody Goody and Pogo's, the bases are well covered for the cocktail lover. (oh, they sell plenty of wine and beer, too).

Where do you shop for booze in the Dallas area? Is there some other place I need to check out?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I'm a Goody Goody loyalist too: the one up on the Frisco/Colony border on 121 is first rate.

I also like the Siegel's downtown near the Quadrangle (I think) and the one in Addison. But I rarely get down there, and the Goody Goody up here is so well stocked there isn't much of a reason to head out that way.

Still wish we could get a Spec's though . . .

What with Goody Goody and Pogo's, tis truly remarkable that y'all down in Dallas don't have a good cocktail bar. I could easily have dropped three or four benjamins in those two stores last weekend.

Goody Goody has a good selection, it's true, and I was happy to pick up two Laird's BIB at the store for dirt cheap prices. Pogo's was a revelation, though: a full Marie Brizard line, Creole Shrubb, an outstanding mezcal and tequila selection, and all sorts of crazy stuff that is hard to find anywhere. The real prize: Whitley Neill gin, which I grabbed to pack between the Laird's for the trip home.

Neither has a good rye or rum selection, however, and the bitters selection at GG isn't as good as it should be (and the one at Pogo's sucks). Jeff, I didn't see Creme de Violette at either place; if I had, I'd have told you not to bother buying it. :wink: There are some other things that would be great to have in stock: didn't see Carpano Antica, Batavia Arrack, genever gins, and so on.

Hell, if I were a cocktail enthusiast in Dallas, I'd approach Pogo's and see if they want you to do a few free workshops on classic cocktails. Of course, they'd have to find you a bottle of this and then of that....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

what's wrong with Creme de Violette? I wanted to try an Aviation has some in there.

Anyway, I think the next thing I need to pick up is a bottle of Benadictine. They have it at goody goody.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...