• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Upscale" Chicken Wings

mexigaf

Anyone have any recipes or boning techniques for chicken wings?  I love the taste of the meat on chicken wings and was trying to brainstorm a way to present one in a more creative manner

Have you ever tried the chinese dish Gotlet Chicken? The wing meat is pulled down to one end of the bone creating a sort of chicken "lollipop". Then it's dipped in an egg wash and then rolled in a crumb mixture and can be either deep fried or oven-baked.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've had chicken wings that were deboned and stuffed with a sticky rice mixture, then deepfried. I've also had a version of the Japanese chicken karaage which were deboned and stuffed with a meat (pork, I think?) mixture.

I second the chicken wing "lollipop" - one way to do it upscale is to dip the lollipop in a corndog type batter, deep fry, and serve with a garlic puree and a parsley puree... Robuchon does this with frogs legs and its incredible... I've done it with chicken wings and it works well...

Jacques Pepin has a fast way to do the lollipops without a lot of work - it takes him about 10 seconds per wing... basically, you cut off the wingtip, then hold the single bone of the wing (the upper arm) in a towel, and bend the forearm orthogonally to the direction of articulation - so if it bends naturally from left to right, then force it down or up until you break the joint - then just pull back on the upper arm and the 2 bones of the forearm just pop out... pluck out one and discard, cut the meat between the upper arm and forearm sections and then just "wipe" the meat down until it forms a lollipop...

Also in the oriental vein, I like to marinate wings in soy sauce and a little sesame oil, grind on some black (or szechuan brown) pepper and bake for about 45 minutes at 350.

Make a stir fry sauce with some corn starch so it will stick to the wings. Anything will work, I usually use some soy sauce, brown vinegar, oyster sauce, fish sauce, and hot bean paste. Stir in a little corn starch.

Stir fry the baked wings in a hot pan and add the sauce. It will thicken into a kind of glaze very quickly.

Serve hot garnished with diced green onions.

A clever wing preparation can be see here at post#16. It's a turkey wing made by McDermitt for docsconz.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack