• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking Brisket: The Topic

Dave the Cook

Lucky, don't let any of this daunt you. Keep this and the virtual weber bullet windows open as you get going.

Smoking meat is unbelievably gratifying. The process. The results. The oohs and ahs. The leftovers. You'll feel like a pro.

It was just about a year ago that I fumbled my way through my first attempt, and thanks to the resources at hand (or keyboard), the results were absolutely spectacular. You have the advantage of the wsm, which makes temp control much easier than that with a kettle.

Smoke away! Photo documentation is required, you know!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I suggested to my husband we needed a smoker and he just looked at me.  Hmmm, perhaps subliminal sleep messages will work.  :biggrin:

Try this . . . "It's less than $200. That is less than a piece of jewerly. It is less than $200. It makes incredible pork. And chicken. And Brisket."

That whispered in his ear may just get it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

. . . . .

Smoking is for women.  I think Linda would agree!  When I'm ready to fire up the smoker, my husband rolls his eyes.  But, he loves the results, and that slightly smokey smell he falls to sleep next to.

heh heh heh heh heh

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

:biggrin: Perhaps I'll make it a "father's day" present.

Now you're thinking. For the price/results ratio, I vote for the WSM. Of course, you can get more extreme than that. Like this little rig. Oh well, you can use this to impress him with how frugal you are. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

WSM = Weber Smokey Mountain. All information here.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

OK . . . You go get the WSM. You present it to him in a sexy little get-up wielding tongs. And you find a way to convince him that your sexy little smoky body is the best present he has ever gotten. And all of that will not be too far from the truth.

whewh

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I got mine for my dad for his birthday...and now I'm "breaking it in" for him. this only slightly reminds me of the simpsons when Homer gets Marge a bowling ball that says "Homer" on it. Except pappa gets to eat this bowling ball. Oh man, he's going to love me hanging around his apt for 18 hrs tomorrow and then throwing a party the next day :blink:

I guess thats what he gets for sending me to culinary school' :raz:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Chips suck for barbecue.

But they're not too bad in some applications. These applications just don't happen to involve anything that requires more than a few minutes of cooking time. They are good if you want to add a litte smoke flavor to vegetables, shrimp, or even a kebab or two. Basically, they are good for light-duty grilling, not barbecue.

If you are in a bind and only have chips or pellets, put them in a heavy duty AL foil pouch with some holes punched in the foil and place on the coals. It will allow the smoke to release and the chips to last long enough for BBQ.

a little update. So I woke up last night puking my guts out...sick as a dog. slept until 7 and hauled my still green self to my dad's place to assemble and fire up aforementioned wsm. Everything has been relativly easy except my temp was a bit low at first...I remedied that by opening the bottom grates all the way. i'm using the minion method. easy. still sick and queasy. more updates sooner.

do you guys baste or spray with anything? applejuice?

does this come in pork?

a little update. So I woke up last night puking my guts out...sick as a dog. slept until 7 and hauled my still green self to my dad's place to assemble and fire up aforementioned wsm. Everything has been relativly easy except my temp was a bit low at first...I remedied that by opening the bottom grates all the way. i'm using the minion method. easy. still sick and queasy. more updates sooner.

do you guys baste or spray with anything? applejuice?

Hope your illness is short lived!

I tend not to baste, except perhaps the flat, and then I just brush with olive oil.

Did you cut the flat and fat parts apart? Did you dry rub?

dry rubbed and left them whole. I'm having trouble keeping the temp up. you think I should ditch some of the water in the basin? put some more fuel in the smoker? they look really good. should I quit with the wood now that it's been 8 hrs? or just keep it going?

does this come in pork?

What a timely thread! I have a whole 13# brisket that I dry rubbed yesterday and plan to smoke tomorrow in my New Braunfels offset firebox smoker. Split the cherry today that I've been hoarding for a few years. I do go low and slow and figure at least 14 hours.

I'm doing 4 courses for 12 - starting with a simple spring onion soup. I picked up some beautiful morels today at the farmer's market and some local goat cheese. Oh, yeah, inspired by Jackal10's foodblog, I cured some pork belly and that's going in the smoker as well. So I think some sort of morel, goat cheese, smoked pork belly tart is in the offing.

Then the brisket. I got some beautiful asparagus today and I'm not sure what else yet.

Dessert is a chocolate raspberry tart with sabayon. Zins with the brisket, we'll see what folks bring for the rest of the dinner.

So the big question - to sauce or not to sauce the brisket. I'm in the no sauce camp, but MIGHT put one on the side if someone has a killer recipe!

So the big question - to sauce or not to sauce the brisket. I'm in the no sauce camp, but MIGHT put one on the side if someone has a killer recipe!

I'm definitely of the sauce on the side variety.

THE killer recipe is =Mark's South Carolina Mustard Barbeque Sauce. It is the one. No matter whatever other sauces I serve, this is the one that goes. My fridge is naked without it.

I'm definitely of the sauce on the side variety.

THE killer recipe is =Mark's South Carolina Mustard Barbeque Sauce.  It is the one.  No matter whatever other sauces I serve, this is the one that goes.  My fridge is naked without it.

I agree. I'm pretty much a "no sauce" guy when it comes to BBQ but =Mark's sauce is the permanent exception to the rule.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I hope I am not too late. If you started with the charcoal ring not chock full, you might need to add some fuel. I sometimes have to toward the end of a brisket. Don't ditch any water. The more water the better. That is your heat sink. Actually, some folks use a Brinkman charcoal pan (it fits where the Weber pan does) because it holds a bunch more water. I tend to add the water a little at a time so that I am not bringing the temperature down by much. I am too lazy to heat the water before adding it.

The real temperature control is those bottom vents. I don't recall ever running with them open all the way. (BTW . . . The top vent should always be open all the way.) But then, I have only used Kingsford plain briquets. I take that back. I once tried chunk charcoal trying to be a purist. Temperature control was all over the place. Being a natural product, it is a variable fuel. Also, the ash is so light that the meerest hiccup and ash flies up into the cooking chamber. I have been known to add some wood chunks late in the game. I know, it is probably a waste of wood but I just think watching smoke come out the top looks cool and makes folks think I really know what I am doing. :raz:

Geez . . . I hope you feel better.

Thanks for reminding me about Mark's sauce.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

OK - with such ringing endorsements, I'll give it a go! I have no yellow mustard...but 2 versions of my own based on andiesenji's homemade mustard. Do I have to go to the store - or can I use my own?

• Similar Content

• By daniel123456789876543
      I have been making pancetta for the first time. I have experience with the curing process doing things like bacon and cold smoked salmon in the past but this is the first time I have ever hanged anything.

After a week of curing it has had 11 days  hanging so far (I was planning on taking it to 28 days hanging) Although I foolishly forgot to weigh it. 
      It smells really good like some awesome salami and the outer rim of the pancetta looks lovely and rich and dark.
      It was a recipe by Kuhlman in one of their charcuterie books.
      But when I inspected it today it had the mould growing on it as in the pics below. I have since scrubbed the mould off with white wine vinegar and returned it to the cellar. Is it wise to continue?

Daniel

• By liuzhou
      Following my posting a supermarket bought roast rabbit in the Dinner topic, @Anna N expressed her surprise at my local supermarkets selling such things just like in the west supermarkets sell rotisserie chickens. I promised to photograph the pre-cooked food round these parts.

I can't identify them all, so have fun guessing!

Rabbit

Chicken x 2

Duck

Chicken feet

Duck Feet

Pig's Ear

Pork Intestine Rolls

Stewed River Snails

Stewed Duck Feet (often served with the snails above)

Beef

Pork

Beijing  Duck gets its own counter.

More pre-cooked food to come. Apologies for some bady lit images - I guess the designers didn't figure on nosy foreigners inspecting the goods and disseminating pictures worldwide.
    • By DanM
      Normally, the local market has bresaola in tissue paper thin slices. Today they also had packages in small dice, probably the leftover ends, bits and pieces. Any thoughts on how to enjoy them, besides nibbling on it? 

Thank you!
    • By kayb
      Linguine with Squash, Goat Cheese and Bacon
      Serves 4 as Main Dishor 6 as Side.
      I stumbled on this while looking for recipes with goat cheese. It's from Real Simple (and it is!). I couldn't imagine the combination of flavors, but it was wonderful.

6 slices bacon
      1 2- to 2 ½-pound butternut squash—peeled, seeded, and diced (4 to 5 cups)
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      1-1/2 c chicken broth
      1 tsp kosher salt
      4 oz soft goat cheese, crumbled
      1 lb linguine, cooked
      1 T olive oil
      2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel, then crumble or break into pieces; set aside. Drain all but about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the skillet. Add the squash and garlic to the skillet and sauté over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the broth and salt. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the squash is cooked through and softened, 20 to 25 minutes. Add half the goat cheese and stir well to combine. Place the cooked linguine in a large bowl. Stir the sauce into the linguine and toss well to coat. Drizzle with the olive oil and add the reserved bacon, the remaining goat cheese, and the pepper. Serve immediately.
      Keywords: Main Dish, Easy, Vegetables, Dinner
      ( RG2158 )
    • By phatj
      Duck Leg Confit Potstickers
      Serves 4 as Appetizer.
      These are seriously decadent potstickers.
      I devised this recipe as part of a Duck Three Ways dinner wherein over the course of three days I dismantled a whole duck using various parts for various things, including rendering fat, making stock and confiting the legs. If you're super-ambitious and do it my way, you'll have duck stock and duck fat on hand as this recipe calls for; otherwise, substitute chicken stock and peanut oil or whatever you have on hand.

2 confited duck legs, bones discarded and meat shredded
      2 c sliced shiitake caps
      1/2 c sliced scallions
      splash fish sauce
      1 tsp grated fresh ginger
      1 tsp grated fresh garlic
      pinch Five Spice powder
      pot sticker wrappers
      3 c duck stock
      3 T duck fat

1. Saute shiitakes in duck fat over high heat until most liquid has evaporated and they are beginning to brown.
      Meanwhile, reduce about 1 C duck stock in a small saucepan over medium heat until it's almost syrupy in consistency and tastes sweet.
      Also, warm a couple of cups of unreduced duck stock over low heat in another saucepan.
      2. Combine mushrooms, duck meat, scallions, fish sauce, ginger, garlic and Five Spice powder in a bowl.
      3. Place a teaspoon or so of the duck mixture in the center of a potsticker wrapper; wet half of the edge with water and seal, pinching and pleating one side.
      If you prepare more potstickers than you're going to want to eat, they can be frozen on cookie sheets then put into freezer bags for later.
      4. When all potstickers are sealed, heat a flat-bottomed pan over medium-high heat, melt enough duck fat to thinly cover the bottom, then add the potstickers.
      5. Cook undisturbed until the bottoms are browned, 3-5 minutes, then enough unreduced duck stock to cover the bottom of the pan about 1/2 inch deep and cover the pan.
      6. Cook until most liquid is absorbed, then uncover and cook until remaining liquid evaporates.
      While potstickers are cooking, make a dipping sauce by combining the reduced duck stock 1:1 with soy sauce, then adding a little rice vinegar, brown sugar (if the duck stock isn't sweet enough), and sesame oil.
      Serve potstickers immediately when done.
      Keywords: Hors d'oeuvre, Appetizer, Intermediate, Duck, Dinner, Chinese
      ( RG2052 )