• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking Brisket: The Topic

Dave the Cook

Today was the day. I've smoked pork butt, chicken, salmon ... even lamb. Today was the day we add brisket to the list.

I'm a Weber Bullet guy. Kingsford briquettes. I was "given" about 8lbs of brisket by one nwyles, owner and chef at the Hamilton Street Grill here in Vancouver with the suggestion that the smoked brisket might make a nice addition to our Micro Brew Tasting on Saturday. No pressure. None at all.

My smoking bible is The Virtual Weber Bullet. So last night I surfed. Fer crissakes!! 9 hours for a 10lb brisket?? Of course, I have nothing but time, and figured a day working at home would allow me the luxury of smoking at the same time.

6am this morning I'm up. First chimney of charcoal is lit. By 7am the Bullet is coming to temperature, and by 7:45 we're holding at 210°F. BTW I smoked with maple today. As a kitchen designer, I have a good supply of maple, cherry and oak at my disposal. Briskets go on, and I return to the office to start drawing. Did I mention I was out of briquettes? Quick trip to the local grocery store.

Is anyone else having a tough time finding briquettes in decent sized bags (i.e. NOT 5lbs!) Our local grovery carries it ... I'm sure only because I buy 3 20lb bags once a month!

2 hours in:

gallery_16561_1041_113637.jpg

Neil had cut the brisket in half at my request. I think it would have been too long for one level ... so the thin end is on the top, thick on the bottom. Smelling good but dropped to just under 200°F after another chimney of charcoal was added.

Now, either my thermometre is off, or I'm having a hell of a time keeping things above 200°F. After 3 hours this shouldn't be an issue. I think perhaps its the charcoal I'm using. Like fifi, I tried lump a while back and hated it. The Kingsford briquettes don't seem to throw the heat ... vents are open 100% almost the whole time.

Work started getting the better of me today. Cell phone wouldn't shut up ... so I got distracted. I had intended to baste with some apple juice & Jack Daniels, but well ... didn't. The briskets came off at 4pm with an internal temperature of 204°F. After a rest I sliced off a bit:

gallery_16561_1041_153670.jpg

Looks like a ring to me!! Really tender, nice and smokey ... quite literally falling apart:

gallery_16561_1041_166302.jpg

I have to admitt, that "meat-string" effect is something I've never seen. I'm guessing it's the reuslt of a dry piece of meat due to the lack of basting. Any thoughts? I haven't tucked into the thicker end yet ... that's to be left for tommorow.

A.

Arne, how soon after taking it off did you slice into it? I usually give it a 2-3 hour rest, in foil, in the oven with just the light on before I dare slice into it. I do manage to pick some fat off the top to check on the smoke, tho.

One of the things I'm noting about the experiences you and Abra (over on the Butt topic) is that you seem to have more trouble keeping the temp up on the bullet with briquettes than I do on the kettle. Hmmm.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Arne, how soon after taking it off did you slice into it?  I usually give it a 2-3 hour rest, in foil, in the oven with just the light on before I dare slice into it.  I do manage to pick some fat off the top to check on the smoke, tho.

Good point. It was pretty soon ... I was impatient :rolleyes: It's now sitting in foil and weill rest until Saturday afternoon.

One of the things I'm noting about the experiences you and Abra (over on the Butt topic) is that you seem to have more trouble keeping the temp up on the bullet with briquettes than I do on the kettle.  Hmmm.

I'm going to investigate with some other briquettes. I had no trouble getting the heat UP with lump ... just keeping it under control. (Kettle snob! :laugh: )

A.

Arne, reheating advice. In foil, very low. I don't feel it needs to be hot, just warmed up.

And, about the brand of briquettes. How much experience with the kettle? Do you usually get Kingsford? Is that what you've usually used?

Final question. Did you use a rub?

Arne, reheating advice.  In foil, very low.  I don't feel it needs to be hot, just warmed up.

And, about the brand of briquettes.  How much experience with the kettle?  Do you usually get Kingsford?  Is that what you've usually used?

Experience with the kettle? Until I found eGGullet I figured Weber kettles belonged in a museum! I will eventually purchase one .. . once I have my BBQ hut built (more on that later).

Final question.  Did you use a rub?

Ahhh .... therein lies the rub. The brisket came to me pre-rubbed courtesy of Chef Fowke & Chef Neil. I'll have to check with them as to the contents. First taste .... there was definitely salt! :laugh: My inclination is smoke the meat naked the first time to see what I'm dealing with, and then go from there. My only exception was the pork butt, but then I had a specific objective, and lots of internet experience to draw from.

A.

[Ahhh .... therein lies the rub.  The brisket came to me pre-rubbed courtesy of Chef Fowke & Chef Neil.  I'll have to check with them as to the contents.  First taste .... there was definitely salt! :laugh:  My inclination is smoke the meat naked the first time to see what I'm dealing with, and then go from there.  My only exception was the pork butt, but then I had a specific objective, and lots of internet experience to draw from. 

A.

I'm pretty darned fond of Klink's Dry Rub, and yes, do look for sumac as it is a most worthy addition. I usually cut down a bit on the salt. Last time I did a brisket, it was so darned big (about 19 lbs.) that I had to cut it in half to get it on the trusty Kettle. I used rub on 1/2, but not on the other half. The rubbed half was definitely the favorite of the 25 people that came to help us try and devour that beast. None of us in this household are fans of rubs on butts -- we like 'em nekked.

And, no, my kettle is not a relic or a museum piece, although it is about 25 years old. I periodically think about augmenting with a bullet, but can't figure out why I should since I've figured out how to really work the kettle and stuff it with meat.

A bit off topic here, but I just wanted to say that I burned only firewood, no briquettes. With the wood, it wasn't keeping the temp up that was the problem, more like keeping it down. The wood, being in 16" lengths, is a bit harder to control all the way through the burn.

Brisket for me next.

Arne : Did I tell you that this brisket has been in brine for quite some time - over 30 days. I would imagine that this might have something to do with the string effect. We will see on Saturday fo the tasting.

Cheers

Neil

uh, wouldn't that make it more of a pastrami variation? :rolleyes:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Arne : Did I tell you that this brisket has been in brine for quite some time - over 30 days. I would imagine that this might have something to do with the string effect. We will see on Saturday fo the tasting.

Cheers

Neil

uh, wouldn't that make it more of a pastrami variation? :rolleyes:

All I know is that after resting over night in the fridge it has come together much better. Flesh is firmer. Tasted perfect for breakfast (just a little don't worry!)

A.

My WSM (oops, I mean Don's) arrived today. Unfortunately, since we are just about to head out on two weeks vacation, our maiden voyage with it will have to wait until we get back :sad:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

My WSM (oops, I mean Don's) arrived today.  Unfortunately, since we are just about to head out on two weeks vacation, our maiden voyage with it will have to wait until we get back :sad:

Congrats, Marlene (I mean Don). All I can say is that you are much more patient than I am. I'd be smoking tomorrow if I were you!

On another note, I got a brisket today, unfrozen, but cryvac'd. My butcher got it in this morning. I'd really like to wait until Friday or Saturday to smoke it. Will it be OK in the coldest part of my fridge until then? Or, should I smoke earlier? Freeze it? (It's a beautiful 11 pounder with a nice fat cap. Much more manageable size than that 18+ pounder I did earlier this spring. There should be room on the Weber for something else, as well!)

My WSM (oops, I mean Don's) arrived today.  Unfortunately, since we are just about to head out on two weeks vacation, our maiden voyage with it will have to wait until we get back :sad:

Congrats, Marlene (I mean Don). All I can say is that you are much more patient than I am. I'd be smoking tomorrow if I were you!

On another note, I got a brisket today, unfrozen, but cryvac'd. My butcher got it in this morning. I'd really like to wait until Friday or Saturday to smoke it. Will it be OK in the coldest part of my fridge until then? Or, should I smoke earlier? Freeze it? (It's a beautiful 11 pounder with a nice fat cap. Much more manageable size than that 18+ pounder I did earlier this spring. There should be room on the Weber for something else, as well!)

If it's cryvac'd, then it will be fine in the fridge. I'd start smoking tomorrow, but the thing needs to be set up, the box is heavier than lead and Don won't be home till late tomorrow night. Wed we are both at meetings most of the day and early evening. Thursday we leave. It's just going to have to wait!

Marlene

I noticed, Abra, that over on Klink's course that you are doing a brisket this weekend. So am I!

For you and anyone else who's smoking brisket this weekend, what sides are you planning on?

I'm doing 2 whole briskets and only have 1 side dish decided upon. It's basically some grilled green beans in a sauce comprised of a bit of canola oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sriracha, a touch of sesame oil, s&p and toasted sesame seeds. A friend is bringing a cold cellophane noodle salad with seasonal veggies (and pork?). Another friend is bringing another, as yet unnamed, salad.

So, I too am still looking for one or two more side-dish ideas to match up with the brisket. I made slaw and baked beans at the last "smokefest" over Memorial Day weekend, so those are out this time.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Lots of sides as we'll be having sort of a pot luck for displaced Canadians on Canada Day tomorrow. I'll be q'ing the brisket. They'll also be chicken for anyone not wanting the brisket (aka crazy :biggrin:).

Sides will be potato salad (probably red with blue cheese), green salad, cheese plate, various fruit, beer, wine, and strawberry daiquiris. I just picked up a flat of strawberries at the local market that were picked at 11am this morning :laugh:

My wife is handling the desserts: nanaimo bars, some type of cream pie, and apple pie.

I'm doing 2 whole briskets and only have 1 side dish decided upon.  It's basically some grilled green beans in a sauce comprised of a bit of canola oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sriracha, a touch of sesame oil, s&p and toasted sesame seeds.  A friend is bringing a cold cellophane noodle salad with seasonal veggies (and pork?).  Another friend is bringing another, as yet unnamed, salad.

So, I too am still looking for one or two more side-dish ideas to match up with the brisket.  I made slaw and baked beans at the last "smokefest" over Memorial Day weekend, so those are out this time.

=R=

I know you said you did a slaw Ronnie, but what aboout an asian slaw? It sounds like it would go with what you are planning.

Marlene

We're doing an eGers potluck of all-American food on the 4th, so it'll be my smoky beans, potato salad, chocolate cake, mac and cheese, coleslaw, maybe strawberry shortcake, stuff like that. There ought to be a lot of good brisket karma floating through the ether this weekend!

Let the smoking commence. My brisket has been on for about three hours, and I've been holding the temp in my trusty old Weber Kettle to 200-225, with an occasional 250 spike.

What a tough, long job. Many beers to drink!

My brisket turned out to be 11 1/2 lbs with a gorgeous fat cap. I rubbed it with Klink's Rub, and it's resting in the fridge until Monday. Pictures, please, Snowangel!

Who has done chicken thighs on the smoker? I figure I might throw some on when I pull the briskets to let them rest for an hour or two. How long do bone-in, skin-on thighs need to smoke? I'm guessing 1 1/2-2 hours, right? Any hints? I think my guests might want to see the smoker in action, and if the briskets have a nice long rest the folks may arrive to the sight of a smoker full of beans and nothing else, hence the chicken idea. Or maybe sausages?

Edited by Abra (log)

My brisket turned out to be 11 1/2 lbs with a gorgeous fat cap.  I rubbed it with Klink's Rub, and it's resting in the fridge until Monday.  Pictures, please, Snowangel!

Who has done chicken thighs on the smoker?  I figure I might throw some on when I pull the briskets to let them rest for an hour or two.  How long do bone-in, skin-on thighs need to smoke?  I'm guessing 1 1/2-2 hours, right?  Any hints?  I think my guests might want to see the smoker in action, and if the briskets have a nice long rest the folks may arrive to the sight of a smoker full of beans and nothing else, hence the chicken idea.  Or maybe sausages?

Chicken thighs. You are right. About an hour or an hour and a half. Even if you don't eat them on Monday, they are fabulous to have in the fridge or freezer.

I'll post a photo (I only took one picture of the done thing since Paul thinks we have way too many photos of hourly progress of briskets already).

I need a short nap before I do that. Smoking and drinking beer is exhausting work. But, somebody's got to do it!

Is there some reason you can't do both?

Not only did I do both, very well, I got more tan, planted several plants and removed about 1/2 ton of river rock from my yard!

I smell like smoke. I will gently reheat the beast tomorrow and serve it up to people who appreciate all of that hard work. :raz: