• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking Brisket: The Topic

Dave the Cook

Sara,

Where to start... um, brisket - cool! I'm sure you'll enjoy.

A great resource that shows you step by step the preparation of a brisket and the temperatures and a recipe is from the Virtual Weber Bullet:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket2.html

Even if you don't have a vertical water smoker like a Weber, the recipe and technique is very useful and relatively the same for any smoker. There is also a preparation method posted there on how to smoke on a smoker then finish in an oven.

Other resources: Paul Kirk cook books - a master at spices, rubs and bbq or Ray Basso - aka Dr. BBQ.

I hope that gets you going. My other tidbit from my experience at competitions is to be patient and really get into the concept of you can't really cook it too long - normally its around 90 minutes to 2 hours per pound of meat for smoking at a temperature of 225 - 240 F.

Good luck!

Brian

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

This isn’t barbequed, but it’s the best recipe for brisket that I have. It’s so easy that even I can make it and everyone loves it.

Ingredients:

3 pounds Brisket

1 cup Stewed tomatoes

1 envelope Onion soup mix

2 cups Water

6 Ginger snap cookies.

Salt & pepper; to taste

This can be cooked either in slow cooker or the oven. Either way, put in the brisket, mix the onion soup with 2 cups of water and pour it over the meat. Pour the can of stewed tomatoes over the brisket. Place the cookies in the liquid, not on the meat. You can break them up to fit. Seal the pan securely with aluminum foil. (If in a slow cooker just put on the lid.) Bake at 325 for three hours without peeking !! Take out the meat, and slice it thinly against the grain and return it to the pan with the gravy. Reseal and bake at 225 for about one hour. Make sure all the meat slices are covered by the liquid so the meat does not dry out. This is tender and delicious. The gravy is great over rice or wide noodles.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone . I went and bought paul Kirk's book and a 1/2 a beef brisket flat cut it only weighs 3.40 lbs so I don't know if this is suitable or not. It does have a nice 1/4 inch layer of fat so I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. I'm going to put a dry rub on it tonight and start smoking tomorrow morning.

I can only get brisket flats here. I've got a fairly large one in the freezer, that I'd like to try smoking

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 4 weeks later...

The concept:

My new Father-in-Law challenges me to a Brisket cook off to celebrate this holiday. I graciously accept, knowing the consequences when (not if!) I win this thing. He is a proud man.

The Equipment:

gallery_22158_3199_24055.jpg

This is my pit as of 4:30 this morning, I lit the fire at midnight. This peice of art was custom made for my wife and I, we named it "Blackwater". Many animals have seen the inside of it.

The Meat:

gallery_22158_3199_22417.jpg

This is the brisket, pre-rub. It is a 10-pounder, select cut. Note the 8-inch Chef's knife for a size reference.

gallery_22158_3199_34473.jpg

This is the hunk of meat post rub, ready to sit overnight. I made the rub out of brown sugar, kosher salt, paprika, pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic salt, and onion powder. After rubbing my meat (heh.), I wrapped in plastic wrap, and set the meat in the fridge for the night.

Meat on the Pit:

gallery_22158_3199_13094.jpg

gallery_22158_3199_20604.jpg

I put the brisket on at 5:00 a.m., knowing that I want it in the pit for 10-12 hours. I'll try and keep the temp between 250 and 275 degrees, and I will compensate an extra 10 -15 minutes for each time I lift the lid. Smoke level is important too, as I don't want to oversmoke the brisket. I'll have to keep and eye on it.

A few hours into it:

gallery_22158_3199_12466.jpg

So far, so good. Time - 7:45 a.m.

7 Hours to Go:

gallery_22158_3199_118.jpg

It's starting to shrink, and blacken. Time - 9:45 a.m.

O.K. So the plan is to have this sucker off by 5:00, sliced at 5:45. Beer drinking to commence at 1200 hours, maybe a bit earlier. I'll update this post as the day progresses.

Lookin pretty good so far.

That little fucker should look like a meteorite when just about done.

Yeah, when a two pronged fork, slides through it similiar to slicing soft butter its ready.

Never hurts to re-rub it about half way during the cook for more of that burnt ends.

woodburner

Brisket and Pork Butt...

Went on @ 4:30 am this morning. During a hell of a thunderstorm here in KC. I can't think of a better way to spend a real early morning than firing up the smoker and dodgin lightning bolts. All clear now, just hot and humid. Lookin to pull about 5 this afternoon.

Happy 4th everyone!

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

6 Hours to Go: I'll wait until the end to post more pics....

I took Woodburner's advice and re-rubbed my meat.

Chileheadmike, you and I are in the same boat. I live in Sugar Land (Houston, basically), and it just started raining. The pit temp dropped about 25 degrees, so far. I tried to plan ahead and add one more log for insurance.

Pam - No sauce! Here in Tejas, people have been killed for less than that. :wink:

By the way, I'm using regular old post oak, from a tree that was downed on my deer lease. It's been stored for about two years. Good stuff.

Jpipes, your rub sounds good. yesterday I presented to about 40 cooks and chefs (some of which had never had true bbq) a brisket (12 lbs), two butts and two shoulders (36 pounds all day)

as well as

corn bread

boston baked beans

southern green beans

coleslaw

creamed corn

onion dip

homemade bbq sauce (=mark's recipe)

german potato salad

I smoked on two water smokers for roughly 16 hours all day (I also made some smoked turkey legs for later)

Be proud of yourself, truly good bbq is a real art.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

No pics, but we had a block party yesterday and hubby and I cooked two briskets.

Prepped them the night before w/ a version of Klinks rub. Got up @ 4:00 yesterday morn....meat on @ 4:30 - meat off @ 5:30 - ish.

Best one we've made yet!

Good luck to all of you who are smokin today.....and Happy 4th!!

• 4 weeks later...

O.K. I've got a half a 10lb brisket on my weber.I slathered it with mustard and then put a rub of paprika , salt, black pepper and cayenne on it. This is my second attempt at bbq brisket and while i enjoyed the first one alot, I thought I overcooked it a bit and that time I didn't season it. This one has been on the grill for 3 and 1/2 hours. I'm having trouble keeping the heat between 230 and 250 it keeps going too low. I'm hoping that this is just going to slow down the process, any helpful hints? I'm using lump charcoal in a 18 and 1/2 inch weber kettle. I'm keeping a chimney going with hot coals. I keep playing with the vents under the grill but I have a thermometer stuck through a cork in one of the upper vent holes so I can't adjust them.

Sara, have you tried slightly cocking the lid? I like keeping all vents closed (I use a regular oven thermometer on the grate), and usually keep the lid just ever so sligtly off kilter, if that makes any sense.

Lower temp does just mean that it will take longer. Did you get a whole brisket, or just a portion of it?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Okay, Sara, look at the side where its cut are there two layers of meat seperated by a webby looking fat layer right in the center? or is it one continous piece of meat? two pieces and it the point, one and its the flat. Also if it's thinner than 2'' it probably the flat. can you take a picture? just to be sure? :smile:

does this come in pork?

I'm thinking it's the flat. Since it's been on the grill for over 7 hours now, would a picture tell you much? I don't know how to post pictures anyway. I've been basting it with apple juice like you suggested to me the 1st time I posted about this subject. The internal temperature of the meat is now at around 156. I've gotten better at keeping the temperature steady inside the grill at around 230.

I'm thinking it's the flat. Since it's been on the grill for over 7 hours now, would a picture tell you much? I don't know how to post pictures anyway. I've been basting it with apple juice like you suggested to me the 1st time I posted about this subject. The internal temperature of the meat is now at around 156. I've gotten better at keeping the temperature steady inside the grill at around 230.

did it turn out great?

does this come in pork?

It did turn out great! Unfortunately after my last post yesterday there was a torrential downpour and so I grabbed it wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven at 300 for an hour. It was great last night and I think I'll go try a little right now.

It did turn out great! Unfortunately after my last post yesterday there was a torrential downpour and so I grabbed it wrapped it in foil and put it in the oven at 300 for an hour. It was great last night and I think I'll go try a little right now.

There's no shame in sticking it in the oven after a million hours..sometimes you just want to eat!

:biggrin:

does this come in pork?

• 3 weeks later...

I am in possession of a beautiful 13 pound brisket (whole and untrimmed, with a nice fat cap). It's for a party on Friday evening, food to start about 7:00 pm.

Smoke on Thursday or do I shag my sorry butt out of bed really early on Friday and get the beast on the grill?

It's of a size that I'm thinking that a small butt would also fit...

What say the experts?

I am in possession of a beautiful 13 pound brisket (whole and untrimmed, with a nice fat cap).  It's for a party on Friday evening, food to start about 7:00 pm.

Smoke on Thursday or do I shag my sorry butt out of bed really early on Friday and get the beast on the grill?

What say the experts?

No brisket expert here. But I think I would go with day before or an overnight smoke. Dinner at 7 means it has to be done and holding by 6. I'd want more than 12 hours of time just to be sure. Of course, we all know you can make magic with that kettle.

I am in possession of a beautiful 13 pound brisket (whole and untrimmed, with a nice fat cap).  It's for a party on Friday evening, food to start about 7:00 pm.

What say the experts?

No brisket expert here. But I think I would go with day before or an overnight smoke. Dinner at 7 means it has to be done and holding by 6. I'd want more than 12 hours of time just to be sure. Of course, we all know you can make magic with that kettle.

Overnight smoke and a Weber Kettle is a no go. I'm smoke on Thursday. That's probably better anyway so I can get the last minute stuff done on Friday! Brisket. Yummm. Mike, find a whole untrimmed brisket or at least the point and do one!

I can only get flats here it seems. I've got a huge flat at home in the freezer and if I ever get to spend enough time at home, I intend to smoke it, to see how it works. I mean, it's stll brisket, right?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.