• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Training/School

BritoJ

I have been looking into taking some training courses in North America to develop my chocolate making skills, I have tried to do some coop work and I have looked into some courses.

Ecole chocolate school in Vancouver offer a Master chocolate program and Barry Callebaut Chocolate offer training in Quebec and Chicago. Does anybody have any input or suggestions about which way a aspiring chocolatier should take at a starting point??

French Pastry School in Chicago might fit your needs.

There are many topics about this on eGullet:

Advanced Belgian Chocolate Candies

Advanced Chocolate Class with Jean-Pierre Wybauw

Chocolatier Programs?, Do they exist?

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thanks John, I took a look at some schools in Europe and they seem great even though too much money and time! I am signing up for a 4 day course in Montreal at the Callebaut training (the same is offered in Chicago), I hope it I can get some hands on experience!

• 1 year later...

Check out this new pastry school in Vancouver www.vancouverpastryschool.com their owner / pastry chef seams to have a solid background and made himself a name in vancouver and apparently Asia. Took some classes with him when he was still teaching at Northwest Academy and it was awesome - he really knows his stuff!