• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Acrylic bars and frames for caramel/ganache

Aza

I've spent the last day or so sifting through search results with little luck, hoping to avoid asking a question I suspect has been answered here repeatedly.

I'd like to get some acrylic bars and perhaps even a full frame or 2 made for this year's candy blitz. I emailed a possible supplier to inquire which of their materials were a- foodsafe, and b- relatively rigid. The response answered neither. :blink: They told me that they don't have any foodsafe information and I'd have to do the research myself. Which, if more detailed information were available on their site regarding the material specifics, might not be so difficult! :rolleyes:

So here it comes... where did you get your acrylic bars/frames made? Is there a specific material spec I can look for from my local suppliers? I like the idea of having rulers laser etched, and it sounds like they work well from the posts I've read regarding available materials. There's a Metal Supermarket I plan to pick up some aluminum bars from next week, so I am not completely frameless if I can't find acrylic, but I'm really excited about the idea of one-piece frames for some of the truffles I've got planned for this year. :biggrin:

Very timely - i'm making my own frame set right now. i ordered 6 1/4"x14"x14" plates off of ebay for $2.25. I started cutting the frame out with the cutting disk of a dremel last night, and learned that the smell of melting acrylic is terrible. the dremel is working, but it's taking SO long. I'm going to try to find another way to do it, but if all else fails, back to the dremel.

I've got a place close by called P&A plastics. They cut frames for me from acrylic in 1/4 and 1/8 inch thicknesses. If you want perfect square corners the cost goes way up, so I settled for slightly rounded corners that they cut with something akin to a jigsaw.

The whole food grade thing is kind of muddy - the stuff they used for my frames is the same stuff used to make sneeze guards for salad bars and such - but I haven't been able to find any sources that explain what makes acrylic food grade vs not.