• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I like curly parsley, do you?

John M

In the Jamie Oliver discussion, someone described curly parsley as useless, or some such. This is a commonly expressed opinion, so I'm not picking a quarrel with that individual person, but am I alone in being a bit sceptical about the notion that flat-lear parsley is so clearly superior?

Curly parsley is robust and great tasting, and looks better when chopped up finely (though I admit that flat parsley looks better when the leaves are whole) because it retains a kind of pleasing, fresh-looking springiness. The stalks are also very good to add earlier in the cooking of soups or whatever, seeming to be more hardy than their flat counterparts. It is not, contrary to popular opinion, particularly difficult to wash effectively. Also, often I think it's easier to get much fresher curly parsley, for some reason; perhaps its easier to grow in England?

Jamie Oliver struggled to explain what was better about flat-leaf parsley when asked during his own TV show. I just wonder whether the conventional wisdom that flat is better comes from the idea that all things Mediterranean MUST be superior to the English equivalent (I have know idea how this debate would apply to other countries, but very interested to find out). Often this might be true, of course, particularly in the area of fresh vegetables and fruit, but is it really true in this case?

Very interested to hear what anyone thinks about this...

John M

The French agree with you, John.

Everywhere we have stayed in France, we have found general grocers and supermarkets stock no fresh herbs except "English" parsley.

We manage to find other herbs growing 'wild' and in the markets, but never "French" parsley.

I can only assume the French grow their own, but they definitely like the curly stuff.

As for us, we prefer the flat for its taste.

That's interesting about the French, I didn't know that. On the taste thing, I admit I haven't ever done a direct comparison, but it's my impression that if you just eat a bit of each in its unadultered state, then flat might taste stronger. But I think if you finely chop curly, then it releases its flavour, which is (I speculate) somewhat hindered by its texture when eaten whole. But now you've said that, I'm going to go away and try and do some comparitive tests. (By the way, who is 'us' in this context, as this is kind of a national matter).

Cheers,

John

In Japan the curly stuff is definitely more popular, it is sold in bunches about the size of my head at even the tiniest mom and pop type shops and flat leaf can only be bought occasionally at the "international" supermarkets. Its popularity is most likely do to the way they use it, mostly as a garnish on the side of the plate or a light sprinkling on type of any "western" type food. It is rarely thought of as a food ingredient.

Because it is so cheap and available I find myself using it more often than I would if I was in the US and find its thicker stems much more suited to long simmerings.

I find the flat leaf fresher tasting and use it normally in preparations that don't call for cooking, except for tabouleh which I prefer the curly type for.

Didn't we just have this discussion a little while ago?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I went with the Received Wisdom that flat parsley has superior taste over curly for a long time. Maybe it does. But not by a whole lot.

But a few months ago I picked up a curly bunch by mistake, and I've not bought flat since. It's the texture thing that flat lacks. It's fun!

And it seems to keep better. Even old and slimey, retrieved from the far hinterlands of the fridge after a loooooong time, it seems a little less slimey than the flat under similar conditions. So it's a prettier garnish for the compost heap!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com